Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone use a GPS?

Old 09-14-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Anyone use a GPS?

Just curious if anyone here uses a GPS while hunting? I've found it's great while scouting. If I find a spot I'd like to hunt and find good tree my climber can handle, I'll stand next to the tree and mark it as a waypoint on my GPS. The next morning, I can usually find the tree with no problems with the GPS. It also beats marking a trail to your tree because others can find your markings.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone use a GPS?

I always have my GPS with me. I don’t use it if I’m familiar with the area but have it on in new areas. The GPS is an excellent tool to have when hunting.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

I bought one because I was hunting some paper company land in Maine a couple years ago, and getting lost up there isn't a good idea. I have used it ever since. It is an invaluable tool for scouting, and I never have to worry about getting lost.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:11 AM

I bought one after I involuntarily spent a night in the swamp (everything looks pretty much like everything else). Caught hell for that one. Haven't gone hunting without it since.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:49 AM

Hey ! Are all GPS's equal ? As in, is one brand as good as the other ? What brands do you own ? And if it's not getting too personal, what price did you pay ?
Old 09-14-2005, 09:59 AM

Magellan TOPO, $150 2 years ago. Garmin also makes a good product. You can buy them now for under $100.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have one but don't use it much when I hunt locally. I could probably find most of my stands with my eyes closed in the dark....

However, when we hunt up in the Poconos for rifle season I always have mine with me. I have the Magellan Sportrak Map model and I would highly recommend it for ease of use at that price point.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Firstimer

What brands do you own ? And if it's not getting too personal, what price did you pay ?
I have the Garmin Emap. This is a nice GPS with a large screen and has the map except it’s only water resistant and not water proof as I stated before many times. I also find it handy for traveling. I even brought on our last cruise and was able to see which island were close when we were on the ship. As for the price it wouldn’t apply because I purchased it in Canada.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Garmin Vista with topo maps loaded is a real nice unit. I hunt big woods of Maine, NH, NY and VTand don't leave home without it. I also carry spare batteries just in case.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just purchased a Garmin Legend for $149.00 U.S. I got it off there homepage as opposed to buying one from Cabelas or BPS and saved 20 bucks. Its not the most expensive nor the cheapest but kinda in the middle. The thing is absolutely amazing and I wonder how I ever got along without one. I'm still tring to figure out to use all the bells and whistles on it as I'm going to order the instruction vidio for $10.00.

Bobby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.