Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Getting to your stand before dawn >

Getting to your stand before dawn

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Getting to your stand before dawn

Old 09-14-2005, 03:43 PM

Default RE: Getting to your stand before dawn

Thanks for your input. It helped, and just for my two cents, I like to see the sun rise, so I try and get in there about 45 min. before dawn so that the deer have time to forget about me.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Generally I like to be in my stand about a 1/2 hour before light. One stand location I had, I jumped deer on my way in every time and would see nothing all day. Finally after going in as early as 04:00 and still jumping deer, I said screw it and went in at 08:00. I shot a very nice buck at 08:45.
Things that make you go hmmm.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

usually i get to my stand about 30 min before the sun rises and watch the woods wake i don't us any light because there is a lane from my uncle's house to the vicinity of my treestand and that way there are less things to spook deer but usually i don't hunt to many mornings during bow season usually i just crawl into my stand about 1&1/2 before the deer will begin to move for the evening and am set

Old 09-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think we're all saying the same thing. Being in the woods while it is still dark and waiting for the woods to come alive is one of the special, very special, treats of being a hunter. Also, since the deer season seems to take sooo long arriving every year, I like to be in the woods as long and as much as possible. I mean, ya can't do this in Feb! (At least I can't)...

For those folks that say they get to their stand 30 minutes before the sun rises are actually gettin there at legal shooting hours. Where I hunt, the hunting day begins 30 min before sunrise...It is very light at that time.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:49 PM

I get to my stand about thirty minutes befor sunrise and just enjoy the cool air. but the main reason I get there before dark is because I want to wait for the deer not show up and scare them away and then wait for them to show up again.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

If sunrise is at 6:00, I'm in my stand by 5:00. I carry a flashlight, but only use it for emergencies.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:15 AM

I am the same way. I like to be in my stand 30 minutes before legal shooting light. I use a red light that mounts on my head to see. They say the red light isn't as offensive to deer as say a regular whit light flashlight.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I carry 2 flashjlights. Goin gto my stand is very scary when only armed with a bow. I must be prayed up. I hunt at the Green Swamp in central Florida. Poisoness snakes and gators are common. There have been sightings of panthers as well. The terrain can be very wet in Sept. My stand is 3/4 of a mile in the swamp. It's a WMA so I have no other choice. My spot is hot though with hog hair still stuck in thier scratchig tree. Oh I am always one of the first at the gate at 5:00Am
Chuck
Old 09-16-2005, 04:34 PM

I try and make it at least 1 hr before daylight, and a head lamp w/red LED light is my personal choice.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:58 PM

In the stand, settled and quiet at least 15 min. before legal shooting time.

Light: bow season, no lights until I get to the stand.I need it for a second or two to get a couple of pins in place. Gun season, light on, panning from side to side, whistling dixie. Ain't been shot yet, and don't plan on it. If any of those idiots think a deer is panning a maglite and whistling, then I guess it's just my time.

Quick Reply: Getting to your stand before dawn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.