Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Getting to your stand before dawn >

Getting to your stand before dawn

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Getting to your stand before dawn

Old 09-14-2005, 05:05 AM

Default RE: Getting to your stand before dawn

I get there about 30 minutes before sun up. Nothing like watching the woods come alive at dawn.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

I always get in abour 30 minutes to an hour early unless there is a steady rain. Then I'm usually not sitting anyway. i will leave the cabin when I can just see in the woods without a flashlight, and then stillhunt until I am too soaked and miserable.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:08 AM

ORIGINAL: TrophyBux

I get there about 30 minutes before sun up. Nothing like watching the woods come alive at dawn.

Same for me.....I love the woods!
Old 09-14-2005, 07:16 AM
Dominant Buck

I try to get in before dawn , but I don't sweat it if I don't . Once on stand I have all day to watch for deer . I use a headlamp going in if it's dark , and I keep noise minimal even though I know every deer for hundreds of yards can hear me anyway . They settle down and forget me eventually .
Old 09-14-2005, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love the mornings! I get in there a half hour before sun up and as stated by many before. . . "Watch the woods come alive!" That is the best thing about hunting. Everyone says "How could you kill something?" I tell them. . . 90% of it for me is seeing things that most people dont take time out to see. I love watching every thing around me move as if nothing is there unless they have a nose that can pick me off.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I want to be on stand WELL BEFORE first light. I always use a light, no matter what. It is a rule on our property that everyone has to use a light when it's even slightly dark. No accidents, thanks. I bought a bunch of these very bright LED lights for everyone and extras - they're all kept out in the barn where we all gear up. With these, there's no mistaking any one of us for a deer. They are VERY bright and can be seen VERY far away.

We also use them while blood trailing at night. We leave them along the blood trail to illustate the blood path and indicate last blood found (last blood found is set to flashing light).

Old 09-14-2005, 09:08 AM

Yep, 30 minutes before first light and use a little one LED headlamp. Keeps my hands free to carry my bow and my GPS.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a major spaz problem with getting into the stand. I always like to get out at least a 1/2 hour before first light. I also love to watch the woods come alive and listen to the noises. As far as a light, I'm on private and its 200 acres with just my brother and I and we are opposite ends, so danger isn't a factor and I always clear my trail meticulously for noise and any walking hazards so I use the light minimally.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:19 PM

You gotta get in long before first light. I get in my spot at least 40 minutes prior to the very first light. I use the moon when I have one and a small red LED light when I have no moon.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

I always get to my stand before sunrise. I use a mini mag light for safety reasons.

Quick Reply: Getting to your stand before dawn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.