HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Large pine thickets! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/11258-large-pine-thickets.html)

utvolsbowhunter 09-30-2002 10:13 AM

Large pine thickets!

Throughout the lease I hunt we have large pine thickets- most are short enough that you can't hunt them or even walk through them. But they are perfect for deer to bed in. The pine trees are about 10-12 feet high. There are trails coming out of the pines everywhere. I was hunting 2 days ago and I watched a doe feed right by me through the pines. My stand was set up on the edge of the pines, and the doe never came out. What could it have been feeding on? It was an evening hunt so I didn't get a chance to check it out before it got dark. What about stand placement in an area like this? Where should I get in reference to the pines?

H Aaron Green

mygamemyworld 09-30-2002 02:57 PM

RE: Large pine thickets!

ive had a similar ocurance with the pines just find out what it is there feeding on and where it is they hang out the most try to find out as much of the area u can including any water sources it may help you or not but good luck with this.

timbercruiser 09-30-2002 03:28 PM

Out in the pines they will often feed on blackberry briar leaves.

rickt300 10-03-2002 08:34 AM

Deer will also feed on the tips of the pine trees. A lot of time there are also blackberries and deer don't need to travel much in woods like this. If you have enough people try to do a drive or hunt the rut.

hvyhitter19 10-03-2002 12:01 PM

I have had alot of luck hunting Pine thickets... I try to find a good trail coming out to open hard woods, acorns, or water... deer will usually lay in there until the last minute, but I try to setup within shooting distance of the edge of the thicket that way I can cover the most ground, and during the rut this is prime time, bucks will cruise the edge of that stuff looking for a hot doe trail, and that is your time to cash in... Don't give up just cause one did not come out... Just try to setup in a place where they have reason to come out, and keep your eyes peeled....

sixpoint40 10-03-2002 05:59 PM

<font size=4></font id=size4>Take a couple of hours and walk those trails. You will probably find open areas in those thickets....places were the pines didn't take real well. I got a couple places I have found just like I described. NO buddy seams to know they are there.
The deer are most likely feeding on honeysuckell and briars.

sixpoint40

soarkrebel 10-03-2002 10:17 PM

I have alot of pine thickets on my leases and they are the most productive for bucks for some reason. they are not pretty and you have to get up high enough to see. sixpoint40 is right you will find open area alot of times and i have found some that the grass is just laid down from them laying up.
the only times i have seen deer breed is in these thickets. i saw 35 bucks in one day in one that i love to hunt. it is a large thicket that has a large beaver pond which is really just a 100 acre swamp on it's edge. on the north side of the swamp is a pasture . it's getting close i'll be back in that swampy thicket soon.

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL