Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Is There Deer In My Area?????? >

Is There Deer In My Area??????

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is There Deer In My Area??????

Old 10-03-2002, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Is There Deer In My Area??????

hey guys i have a major question i scouted at my hunting spot about a month ago and found a few trails and spooked up 3 or 4 does when i was coming back to my truck. Well i went back out today to hang my stand ( i live in Ohio) and do a lil more scouting well i found maybe two sets of tracks in dif. places and no rubs or anything. There is good dense cover for bedding and a corn field so i set my stand in between them is this a ok deal i mean is there ven deer in this area prolly? thanx please respond
Old 10-03-2002, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is There Deer In My Area??????

A good trail and deer droppings is a good way to tell if deer are in the area in the early season... Rubs and scrapes are probably not being made a whole lot just yet, although I have found some already this year... The lack of does not necessary mean there is no deer in the area.... If you can find some droppings or a good trail into the corn or into the thick areas, I would setup there and see what happens...
Old 10-03-2002, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

well im setup about 100 yards from where i saw the does drinking water when i sppoked them off a month ago and they took off running towards the heavy bedding so i figure di might catch a deer going from the bedding to the corn is this a possibility there still a lot of vegetation so its hard to see all the tracks
Old 10-03-2002, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would feel sure there are still deer in your area. Is the thick cover actually being used as a bedding area? Have you scouted other areas nearby for additional sign? Deer may be moving to other feeding areas, especially if acorns, beechnuts etc have started falling. I would spend a little more time checking these things out, and then make a decision where I want to hang my stand. Like hvyhitter says, it may be a little early to start seeing rubs, scrapes etc. Personally, when I start scouting, I look for the thickest, darkest area I can find. I then look for tracks and droppings that are both fresh and old. This tells me that deer were using this area and are currently using it. You may have seen 3-4 does a month ago, but how many have seen you or knew you were there without you realizing it? More than you think would be my bet.

Old 10-03-2002, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

well i didnt go down and check the heavy stuff to well i didnt know if i woulkd spook anything or not. Is it possible that the vegetation is just to heavy and im not noticing tracks like i see some areas that are really really kocked down flat like somethings been there and so on is it possible to that its just early season and there not moving as much im really worried???
Old 10-03-2002, 08:17 PM

Sounds like to me that you have a pretty good area to hunt out of, It's not to offten that any one is able to sneak up on deer. The fact that there are trails being used, a corn field and thick brush I would say you have more deer than you think.

As another member said the deer are hanging in the thick stuff. Just get in the woods early and use your hunting know how. Just wait untill the cold snap comes on and the rut begins, you'll be glad that you saw those does.

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!