Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DEER DRIVES NOT HUNTING

Old 09-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DEER DRIVES NOT HUNTING

Oh My God here we go again[:-]

Old 09-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let me kick this around. I hunted on well organized drives for years - all legal and with permission. A few guys owned farms or were related to local farmers. We drove those farms and killed many a deer inc some very nice Buck. We always offered up a Deer to each farmer. They were all tickled to death to get rid of the 4 legged critters that ate up 25-30% of there profits.

Old 09-12-2005, 08:21 PM
New Sheriff

I read somewhere that's how the Indians hunted deer and buffalo.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hunting..........

1. Each state or area has it's own set of laws/rules.

2. If the law allows baiting, food plots, feeder, treestands, blinds, orange, camo, crossbows, .50 BMG, howitzer, Sidewinder missle or whatever; and you judge it to be "unethical" in your own personal book - no one is going to force you to do it, "JUST SAY NO!"

3. Now if someone feels so strongly against the way the law allows now, then they need to spend some time lobbying their law makers.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, are we talking about driving deer with dogs, or doing a deer drive where you have people posted in strategic spots and other people go through brush to kick up the deer and force them to these escape routes? Either way I feel are just fine. Some areas that deer bed are so thick and impossible to penetrate by people that dogs may be the only alternative. I will use dogs for mountain lions, does that mean that is wrong too??

I think hunters need to support each other, and as long as the way they hunt is not illegal, then let them do it without facing criticism from other hunters!!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can also learn a lot about a deer by dog driving.
they (the deer) also learn a lot about us, like what a truck door sounds like, when they hear a bunch of vehicle comming down that old loggin road, when people are walkin thru the woods and such. not my prefered metheod of hunting, but it aint like a lot of people think, you will not kill every deer on a piece of property, they may slip off, but thats about it.

Most of the deer that I killed while dog driving were not even being chased by the dogs.
one time were were running a pack of beagles, they jumped 3-4 does, here go the dogs, we stood right there, all of a sudden, the brush came to life, there was a beautiful 10pt 25-30 yrds away that had hung tight to the cover, and the dogs got on the does, the buck went 90 deg. to what the does went, my uncle was smokin and i was takin a bathroom break, all we could do is just stand there dumb-founded.

Again, I will clearly state that I bet at least 90% of the people who put it down, have never done it![:@][:@][:@]
how true like i mentioned, its not my prefered way to hunt whitetails, but i am not against it either, now rabbits, and coons and squirrells, oh man!!!! nothin like the race
Old 09-12-2005, 10:47 PM

they (the deer) also learn a lot about us, like what a truck door sounds like, when they hear a bunch of vehicle comming down that old loggin road, when people are walkin thru the woods and such. not my prefered metheod of hunting, but it aint like a lot of people think, you will not kill every deer on a piece of property, they may slip off, but thats about it.
Thats very true. It is also one reason that as soon as I drew my stand I would head to it. I killed a lot of deer that slipped out while the other trucks were getting in the woods.

This is also one reason that I like to keep my dog hunting land and still hunting land seperate. But only if the dog land gets driven often.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:12 PM

I have been driving deer for years with my brothers,sons and nephews.
we plan ahead of time where everyone will be and where we think the deer will run.
we take turns pushing and standing so everyone gets a turn at shooting a deer.
If done right it can produce some nice bucks and doe's.we will usually sit the first hour or two and then start to drive.it is funny because the first hour or so we hardly hear any shooting untill we start driving deer.also we have not yet run into another hunter who has shot a deer we may have pushed to them complain about driving the deer to them.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:03 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt across the road a little bit from some guys that have a tree line that borders the road, and a pasture/timber/junkyard on the other side of the trees.....like 5 guys spread out along that tree line....after daylight usually....and are spread out about 50-75 yards each, just standing in the tree line. Then, their other 5 or so friends walk across the pasture at a diagonal driving any deer.....Like someone said, to each his own, and if its legal thats fine with me, but when i am over in my stand and i hear about a dozen shots in 15 seconds, I just wonder as to what enjoyment these guys are getting out of this.....Also, I have heard of these guys not honestly knowing who had shot the deer....Also, another time, we heard about 6 shots and we were on our radios, my father and brother and I, and were talking about them, and how some deer probably just got a couple bullet holes in him, and then a deer came running in front of my brothers stand, and it was a decent looking buck....running broadside, so my brother shot the deer at about 20 yards, and when we got to him, we found out that he was probably running from those guys, and had the front of his jaw shot, and his back leg....my brother took a spine shot, and dropped him on the spot...
After we shot him, we let him sit for a little while, because I also had some movement near my stand, so we all waited....when we got out of our stands and checked the deer and all....we loaded him up on the truck and took him to the front of the timber near the road and saw those guys....The first thing my dad did was ask them how they did, and they said that they had all filled their tags.....So, I cant be sure, but im gonna guess they shot at that deer, hit him twice, and no one went and tracked him....and just continued to hunt....
Obviously, this isnt every hunter who drives deer, more than likely the small small minority, but from that experience, I have had a bad impression.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:51 AM

This is ridiculous. If someone is hunting legally, then what is the point of talking down about their methods? If you don't want to bait or drive, then don't...it's your choice. But if someone else is doing it legally, why don't you just shut up and allow them to make their own choices about how they hunt. Man, some people are just really dense.

Quick Reply: DEER DRIVES NOT HUNTING

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.