Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where did all the Deer Go?

Old 09-30-2002, 07:42 AM

Default Where did all the Deer Go?

Here I am in northeast PA and I am trying to put together a mystery puzzle. I have over 200 acres of mountainous land with four food plots (ladino clover, alfalfa & rye). I have been scouting with the use of two deer cams. It seems almost exactly to the day that my cameras are getting much less deer activity during the period of 9/20 to early October. The cameras are set up on food plot areas with mineral piles. I normally get around 24-40 trips of each camera per week. Starting the third week in September my camera trips go down to 6-10 for each camera per week, and it seems to continue like this the next two to three weeks. This is my second year of this type of research.

These cameras seldom record the same bucks, so I think I have two independent survey areas. I am trying to put the pieces of this puzzle together. Are the deer going to different food sources? This could be, but the dominant mast crop is beech and cherry and the cherry is good this year but the beech is spotty. Are their social structures changing so rapidly with the upcoming rut that they have abandoned there patterns? This I am not sure of. I have photos of 4-6 dominant 3.5+ year old bucks on each camera. Maybe their territorial clashes have forced some of these bucks out, but what about the does? Have the food plots lured in many bucks and does from other areas, who are now going back to the areas in which they breed?

I sure would appreciate any ideas anyone has to offer. I am not a professional researcher and would value any interested replies.

Kevin C.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:30 PM
Spike

Default RE: Where did all the Deer Go?

Hey kev,
How's the weather been this year compared to last?
Warmer? Dryer? if so where are the nearest water sources, has the habitat around your land changed over the last year, clear-cuts developments? just exploring the possibilities Good luck P.s Have you had any pictures of coyotes or any other predators that may have moved in?
Old 10-01-2002, 05:06 PM

Thanks Deernut,

I guess everywhere its been dry in the northeast. But this has been this way all summer. I do have some pics of coyotes, bobcats and bear but they have all shared the same domain forever. No real earth moving developements happening close to my land. I am not sure but on the QDM forum in this site a couple of guys have some interesting comments to my same question, take a peak.

Thanks,
Kev
Old 10-01-2002, 11:20 PM

If your numbers are down and there seems to be no reasoning behind it you my have an issue. Deernut, made some good points some of which I would have stated.

Even though your predator animals have been sharing this area for a while with the deer you need to still take into concideration that thier (the predators) resources my have been effected inturn pressuring the deer population more. Those pictures or the coyotes, bobcats and bear may be one of your problems. If they have been at the deer the deer are going to steer clear of this animals even if it means relocating.

I would suggest developing a test plot in a different area of your 200 acres and see what happens. Before that, get out there and scout the entire land mass that you own. You will notice things.

Just one item that I have focused on, good luck.

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 10-02-2002, 12:16 PM

Thanks Jred,

Not sure what the answer is but I am going to keep looking rest assured of that.

Kevin C.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:02 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]