Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Which atv do you like for hunting transportation? >

Which atv do you like for hunting transportation?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Which atv do you like for hunting transportation?

Old 09-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default Which atv do you like for hunting transportation?

My kaw bayou died and i am going to get a replacement, to take me to and from stand areas. I also like to use my bike during the off-season to ride w/ my 4 year old. I had a sportsman 500 and realized it is way too much bike, too noisy, heavy and loud. Not a bad bike, just not what i want for this purpose.

Just curious as to what many of you use and like. For awhile, i thought the AC 300 4x4 was the bike b/c it was low maintenance w/ the independent suspension but the reviews seem mixed. I have shifted back toward the rancher, but w/o selectable 4x4 and no indep suspension, I have mixed feelings.

any thoughts?
Old 09-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Which atv do you like for hunting transportation?

The rancher is extremely reliable,very low maintenace and very good on fuel.I have never found the fulltime 4x4 to be a hindrance for a hunting quad and I prefer the rigid rear axle for carrying heavy loads.They do not lose ground clearance when loaded and are more stable with heavy loads as well.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm looking at a Suzuki 400 right now. They have a special now that you can get a winch for $69 also. I need to read a little more, but a guy I know that works at a big offroad store said if he was buying one right now that that would be his choice. They sell Yamaha, Polaris, Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki at that store.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've owned some Yamaha machines and a Polaris Sportsman, however the Honda Rancher AT that I bought last year is THE better quad. It's a super tough, comfortable, trouble free quad that get's an excellent rating from any ATV'er. You should certainly take a serious look at one.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:41 PM

I have always been a fan of Honda. In my younger days we treated our 4wheelers like tanks. And never had a problem. Wehave a local four wheeler"camp" (I guess thats what you can call it), peoplecome from all over NC and SC to ride.So, we have a lot ofexp. with just about every name brand of fourwheeler.I still have a4x4300 FourTrax that I still get offers 3x more than its worth. These 4wheelers were some of the best ever made. The thing I like about HOnda is that they keep it simple. So less to tear up.When Hondacame out with the new sideways motor (from what I seen)they had A LOT of problems with the rings burning up. About four years or so has passed now and I have heard that they got the kinks out of the new motor. I have a lot of friends that still "tank ride" and most of them still have Honda's with no problems. If you want a automatic, I really favor the Honda. If I am not mistaken, its the only transmission that isn't belt driven? If you go into deep water for a good amount of time, the belts on the others will get wet and slip. I have seen more Polaris' stranded b/c of this than any of brand. As far as lockers, an avg. rider will not need lockers. If you don't know what you are doing with lockers (just like in trucks), you can do more damage than anything. If I am not mistaken you can get the Foreman with selectable 2wd/4wd. I would like to see Honda come out with a low range selection though.

I started to look at the Arctic Cats a couple of years ago. They are well built 4wheelers. They have Suziki motors in them. I think this years models had Kawaski motors. If I am not mistaken for the 06' line up. AC is supposed to have their own motors.

For an avg rider I don't see where you would go wrong with a Honda Rancher. Arctic Cat 300 or 400. Any of the Suziki, Yamaha or Kawsaki's around the 300 or 400cc size would be more than enough for you and do anything that a avg rider would need.The only brand that I wouldn't hold much faith in is Polaris. I have seen more of them broken down than just about any other.Again, this is coming from my exp. with hundreds of fourwheelers on the trail.

I am not a big fan of indep. suspension when it comes to mud playing or work. I like a solid axle.
If I was asked to rate the brands from my exp. here's the list: (sorry about the spelling)

1. Honda
2. Suziki
3. Arctic Cat
4. Yamaha.
5. Kawiskia
6. Polaris

AGAIN (since so many people here like to fuss) This is my OPINION
Old 09-06-2005, 08:53 PM

I currently use an old Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4, hold up good, will prolly sell and replace in another year or so. Dont get me wrong its really good, but I might sell it to a friend or my little brother who is going to want one soon.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

Honda Foreman 400 4x4, it gets me wherever i need to go.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:53 PM

IceDragon.

You are holding on to a piece of gold. Those are some of the best 4wheelers ever made and they dohn't make them anymore. In my opinion you will not be able to buy another fourwheeler that will outlast and be cheaper to maintain than what you have. Around here, they are bringing two to three times more than they are actually worth b/c they are so good.

If you want more power, here is what I done to mine. Put a bigger jet in the carb. Bolt on a good aftermarket high performance header and pipe. And throw in a K&N or other brand of high performance air filter.

If you want even more power, and want to spend about $1,300. Order a big bore 350 kit. If you want a 300 that can bust axlesand turn 28'' OutLaws like the big 500-600's, get someone to rebuild the stroke of the motor.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

cant afford one
Old 09-07-2005, 08:45 AM

ORIGINAL: StrutnBPS

IceDragon.

You are holding on to a piece of gold. Those are some of the best 4wheelers ever made and they dohn't make them anymore. In my opinion you will not be able to buy another fourwheeler that will outlast and be cheaper to maintain than what you have. Around here, they are bringing two to three times more than they are actually worth b/c they are so good.

If you want more power, here is what I done to mine. Put a bigger jet in the carb. Bolt on a good aftermarket high performance header and pipe. And throw in a K&N or other brand of high performance air filter.

If you want even more power, and want to spend about $1,300. Order a big bore 350 kit. If you want a 300 that can bust axlesand turn 28'' OutLaws like the big 500-600's, get someone to rebuild the stroke of the motor.
Yea I realize they are a piece of gold, nothing holds up better than a fourtrax. Thats why im really unsure about what im going to do, be nice to my brother and give it to him and get a bigger one or just hold on to the fourtrax for a while. Im still deciding.

Quick Reply: Which atv do you like for hunting transportation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.