Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

big bucks and corn piles?

Old 09-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: big bucks and corn piles?

Depending on cover and terrain....back off 100-150 yards downwind...often the bucks slip by the feeder area...downwind to pickup the scent of the hot does...
Old 09-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

You cant fool an old buck that easy
Old 10-05-2005, 08:10 PM

I have hunted off of corn piles and caught bucks trailing in does that are trying to feed. But i have never seen and old bucks come to my corn. I have seen young bucks but nothing of any size.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:31 AM

I've hunted deer over corn for years and the big bucks that I have taken were lingering off while the does fed. If you can get between the bedding area and the corn, that is the place to set up your stand. The two biggest bucks I have taken (10 pointers) were going TO the corn in the middle of the day!! The does had already fed and left. They were about an hour later than the doeswas following them. I got them sneaking down the trail that the does used about 100 yds. from the corn.

Good Luck all!!! Muzzle loader comes in here Sat. but it looks like TS Tammy is gonna have it raining on us!![]

Old 10-06-2005, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I disagree with some of you that say that mature bucks wont visit a corn pile during normal shooting hours. I took a dandy of a buck that walked right to my corn pile, thats all he was after.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:11 AM

boy, wish we could bait in Ga.... but you got to realize it takes some of the hunting out of hunting. Remember you can't use all the cool stuff that you buy if you just hunt over bait....hehehe
Old 10-06-2005, 10:31 AM

My fiance's parents own 5 acres in the suburb and behind their house is a pinchpoint and I've put corn out down there and have had 2 big bucks eating in the pile but not until after dark. I know there are alot bigger deer in these woods to. LOL I'll be over there in the morning with this cold front coming thru.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

Alot of big bucks are shot over bait, not as many as not, but still. The WI state record was.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:00 PM

Stand hunting has proved much more better for me.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

We cannot hunt over bait here in PA however is it possible that the older bucks are just smart enough to know a well laid trap when they see it? It is entirely possibly that they show up after dark. Do you have a game cam out on the feed pile?

Quick Reply: big bucks and corn piles?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.