Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Question

Old 09-06-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Deer Question

I have been sold by all the things "experts" say about deer being able to see ultra violet, so i buy the wash, and spray, and clothes that say they show no ultra violet, now after reading a few books on deer (trying to learn more about these creatures) I came across an artical from a man who says he has been hunting deer for 30 years and never used any of that "crap" as he called it, and still has killed some trophy class deer. now i dont want to call it luck, cause that would be 30 years of luck, but i guess i'm kinda confused on what to do now. Should i stop spending money on that stuff or has people actually had encounters showing that it works???
Old 09-06-2005, 03:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer Question

I use none of the gadgets of today,no sprays ,scents,calls,and such.Do where camo ,but what ever it is on sale or I find at yardsales.Wear sneakers no socks. I dont wash my clothes I hunt in,Just hang them outside. I do use strained farm manure and step in cow crap if i can. My total buck in my 50 years of hunting is 184 buck and to many does to count..
Old 09-06-2005, 06:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've shot somewhere around 175 and have never used the stuff. I've had a lot of deer walk right to me when I was in the wide open, one of them the biggest buck I've ever shot.. Really can't say the stuff works or not, just hunt the wind and stay still.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

im not sure if it works or not. seems they spend a whole lotta money on advertising. but its a personal thing. if you have something you believe in and it keeps you on stand an extra half hour. thats what its worth. i do buy into some of it. but nothing beats time spent in the stand.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:00 AM

I think that TIMBER hit the nail on the head. Stay still. According to the research that I have read, a deer's eyes can see movement a lot better than we can. I have never used the UV stuff either. Not saying that it doesn't work. Just never used it. I would say, hunt the wind and be still.

If you feel more confident with using the stuff, keep using it.

I have had deer within 15yds stand there and watch me with their nose in the air and licking their tongue, trying to smell me. Even though they seen me, they couldn't smell me. Most of them didn't turn to run until I moved. Even then, if they couldn't wind me, they seldom bolted. Most just kept on their normal way.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: armyhuntinguy

I have been sold by all the things "experts" say about deer being able to see ultra violet, so i buy the wash, and spray, and clothes that say they show no ultra violet, now after reading a few books on deer (trying to learn more about these creatures) I came across an artical from a man who says he has been hunting deer for 30 years and never used any of that "crap" as he called it, and still has killed some trophy class deer. now i dont want to call it luck, cause that would be 30 years of luck, but i guess i'm kinda confused on what to do now. Should i stop spending money on that stuff or has people actually had encounters showing that it works???
Army, it's the UV enhanced dyes that is used in the clothing. The deer see the camo
clothing in the UV spectum as bright Blue. If youwash your clothing in commercial
wash soaps it will enhance iteven more.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:19 AM

I don't know whether it all works, but I use some of the stuff that makes sense to me in my locale. For example, I hunt mostly in the swamp in warm weather. After walking a half mile or more in 80 degree weather, in knee high water with 50 pounds of gear, I am pretty much drenched in my own sweat by the time I get to my tree. Then I have to climb up it. So, I use the scent free soaps and sprays and body deoderant and Xscent or Contain clothing to curb bacterial growth on my skin. I agree that hunting the wind is the most effective tactic, but the wind swirls a lot, and it can't hurt not to smell like a heap of dirty laundry.

There are also a lot of bugs, so I use a BugTamer Plus suit with the leaves sewn on for extra camo and to break up my outline. I don't know for sure if it is the camo or the leaves at all, but I have had many deer look right up at me for a few seconds and then just go about their business. I agree that keeping still is the most effective tactic, but I figure that, since I have to use a bug suit anyway, I might as well maximize my concealment. I also wash my hunting clothes in a non UV brightening soap, just because it makes sense to me that if deer see better in the blue light spectrum, I don't want to highlight myself.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:11 PM

Same. I have camo, try not to fart and I have been successful without all those marketing gizmos and gadgets. I have even gone straight from work in jeans and a shirt to my stand and have come out with deer. I don't think it matters much as long as you have the right background, concealed stand location, etc.

My buddy even chews tobacco and he's more successful than I am. It's partially luck out there and those cover scent products might work, but not worth my hard earned money!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:31 PM

NorthernHunter mentioned something that I just can't help but to ask.Farting(lol),I'm not going to set their and be in pain but I've always wondered if it would have any affect.If so maybe i'll watch what I eat the day before.Sometimes I wonder if I might grunt one in with it.hehe
JE
Old 09-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Army,

Wash them clothes in Baking Soda,Drip Dry outside,put clothes in a bag of pine or cedar branches. As others have stated Hunt the Wind and Stay Still. All that will cost you about $5 and you'll get your deer every year.

Quick Reply: Deer Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.