Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Who thinks hunting over feeders or bait is wrong? >

Who thinks hunting over feeders or bait is wrong?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who thinks hunting over feeders or bait is wrong?

Old 09-03-2005, 06:23 PM

Default RE: Who thinks hunting over feeders or bait is wrong?

Ethics is a touchy subject that will never be won/lost. If you ask me, this post would be better deleted. It is an argument that I've heard and read both sides of for years now.

Both sides have pros both sides have cons.

One thing that I really never see come up when this is talked about is the FACT that WE, MAN have destoried every inch of natural habitat in the US. So, if baiting and planting food plots helps make up for our destruction than I am for it. Yes we have set aside some land, replanted PINE PLANTATIONS and not forrests, but is this enough?

You say that baiting may cause deer to stay in one place blah this blah that....A deer can travel miles a night. And I have pics to prove this. Esp. during the rut.

I tell ya what.... why don't the baiters and non-baiters work together and plant more hardwoods and refill drained swamps, till under parking lots. Then we will have no need for baiting or food plots in my opinion. Cutting down a forrest that has food for deer only to replant pines. Is this good? I mean, I've never seen a deer eat pines. So does a corn pile make so much of a difference in actually giving the poor fellas something to eat?

Baiting deer is legal here in SC and I have hunted over bait piles my whole life. WIth that said, bait doesn't make that much different. I bet only about 1/4 of the deer I have shot were at a corn pile. Corn really isn't even that attractive to a deer if you look at the studies.

I tell ya. We all want to point fingers at the other guy. Calling a fellow hunter a poacher when he has done nothing that was legally wrong isn't a way to go. Hunters against hunters. WHy not just hand hunting over to PETA?[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 09-03-2005, 06:27 PM

OH yeah something else. I bet you $100 that 99.9% of the people who are against it live in states that don't allow it. And vis verse.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: StrutnBPS

OH yeah something else. I bet you $100 that 99.9% of the people who are against it live in states that don't allow it. And vis verse.
Your probably right... People who have never tried are usually the first to bash it...
Old 09-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

This has probably been hashed over more than any other subject on this board. I personally feel that ifa method of hunting islegal and you have no personal problems with it, then go ahead. To bait is to entice, lure or tempt. That would include not only feeders, but food plots, agriculture fields, sex scents, mineral licks, decoys and any thing else that fits the description. Lot of times it is the old argument "if you don't hunt the way I do then you aren't doing it right". I'm assuming you stand behind a tree barehanded and jump on the deer's back and break its neck. Otherwish you would be using weapons the deer doesn't have, therefore you wouldn't be hunting fair. The hunting community has enough problems with organizations like PETA. Don't drive a wedge in the hunting community. I personally don't know of any hunters that don't use something to improve their odds of killing a deer.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Equating legal hunting with poaching is not very bright, to say the least! Poaching is a very serious label! Who appointed you the god of hunting? Are all people who hunt different than you do, poachers?
There are many things that others do that I may not agree with, but unless it is against the law, it is not poaching!
As hunters, and/or gun owners we have enough enemies! We don't need any pious, holier-than-thou, people starting trouble! Whether it's baiting, food plots, scents, dogs, guns vs. bows, or whatever, if its legal, there is no good reason to bash another hunters tactics!
We do need to police our own ranks, law breakers ARE poachers and need to be reported, and dealt with! But to holler "poaching" at perfectly legal hunters is absolutely WRONG!
The place to really discuss this is in your state wildlife hearings, or letters to law makers! It IS NOT stirring BS in public forums, where anti's canplay us, one against the other!
Old 09-03-2005, 10:13 PM

Timber. Very well said.

But let me make it even better. You couldn't use a knife, you would have to take a slab of stone and carve and mold a spear out of it.

A. D.D.- do all of us a favor and take a few of your adirol's and look up poaching.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

You keep using the word "poaching".The plain fact is that if it is legal to bait in your area it is "not poaching".
See posts like this and all the others i didnt qoute say im bashing im not bashing i said i didnt wasn a argument. The only thing iv ever used are a bow a gun a grunt call and scen eleminator. I was asking who on this site thought baiting/feeders/canned hunts are wrong. Im going bye how i was raised and what i belive in. And trust me i will never use a feeder, bait, scents or whatever even if its illegal in my state and go somewere were it is legal and do it. I never have and never will thats how i am. Just like i think people dont need to use rifles that shoot out to 400 300 or even 200 yards. The longest shot iv taken on a deer was about 80 yards with my 12 gauge on a doe. I dont see a point on being able to that long of a range on animals. I like the challenge thats why i picked up bow hunting.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:25 AM
usa
Fork Horn

Son it breaks my heart to read your post's, you leave yourself wide open to ridicule.Why don't you try to have a more open mind and see how the rest of the world live's ?just because you believe what you think it doesn't nessesarily make it right, think about what you are saying ..you don't like feeders...you don't like tv hunting show's ...you don't believe anyone should shoot at game 3/4/500 yds away and yet you say you shot a doe with your 12 ga at 80 yds, some might say that its risky shooting a slug gun at that distance , and you use a grunt call, isn't that a little unfair to the poor animal that comes to you in trust only to be killed for his trust ? Anti-bowhunters might tell you that its inhumane to stick a sharp object into an animal and wait for him to bleed to death and on and on.My point is that all methods of hunting can be dissected and shown in a bad light. you seem awfully young to use phrases like " never have and never will " maybe after you experience life a little longer you will learn to accept others for who they are, brother hunters, not your enemy !
Old 09-04-2005, 01:44 AM

ORIGINAL: usa

Son it breaks my heart to read your post's, you leave yourself wide open to ridicule.Why don't you try to have a more open mind and see how the rest of the world live's ?just because you believe what you think it doesn't nessesarily make it right, think about what you are saying ..you don't like feeders...you don't like tv hunting show's ...you don't believe anyone should shoot at game 3/4/500 yds away and yet you say you shot a doe with your 12 ga at 80 yds, some might say that its risky shooting a slug gun at that distance , and you use a grunt call, isn't that a little unfair to the poor animal that comes to you in trust only to be killed for his trust ? Anti-bowhunters might tell you that its inhumane to stick a sharp object into an animal and wait for him to bleed to death and on and on.My point is that all methods of hunting can be dissected and shown in a bad light. you seem awfully young to use phrases like " never have and never will " maybe after you experience life a little longer you will learn to accept others for who they are, brother hunters, not your enemy !
I like the way you put that usa!
Old 09-04-2005, 07:00 AM

Man, I wish I was young enough to still know everything.

Quick Reply: Who thinks hunting over feeders or bait is wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.