Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Whoops! That was a button buck! >

Whoops! That was a button buck!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whoops! That was a button buck!

Old 09-03-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Whoops! That was a button buck!

Hey all -just wondering if any of you have ever by mistake shot a button buck thinking it was a doe? I have!I am in a managed club and if they knewIdid thatI would have got a $250 fine to help put gravel on our camp road!!!!When they asked "was that you that shot", Isaid nope, must have been someone onWMA!(I still taged the deer and took it home with me). ---Button bucks sure are good eat'n!!
Old 09-03-2005, 02:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Whoops! That was a button buck!

Not in bow season Years ago I did with a gun.But have learned and sharpened my skills so it dont happen again.I only shoot the biggest doe and usually a lone small deer around hereusually is a button.Plus a button is the dumbest deer in the woods
Old 09-03-2005, 07:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

And if one of the club members reads this and recognizes your handle they might throw you out of the club for being dishonest. It would have been better if you had of accepted your responsibility and error.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is a mistake that can be easily made. Once this mistake is made, you learn to look a little closer before pulling the trigger. This is a mistake that can be forgiven, but should never become a habitual mistake!
A few years ago, I was watching a group of small does to my right, and then I saw what I thought was a good doe off to my right. I didn't just take a snap shot, I glanced back at the small does, and sized them up against the large doe to my right, and decided to take it. Upon reaching this "doe," I realized that it was a button buck! I do not think that anyone else could have made me feel worse, or chewed me out as much as I did myself!
I tagged him with my doe tag, which is legal here in Texas, because neither antler had broken though the skin.
While chewing myself out and analizing my shot, I really began to see that there were a lot of things that I could have been looking for when doe hunting, besides size and a "skin head!"
In your situation, the mistake is forgiveable! But getting caught lying to your lease members, probably will not be!
Anyway you lied, either out of embarassment, or to escape the fine!
You compounded one mistake, with a biggermistake! Learn from it and grow!
Old 09-03-2005, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've done it(knock on wood)once during doe season.Once during bow season I had the perfect shot,this"doe"was mine,just as I started to draw back the bow HE moved his ear and I saw two small points.Not spikes just points.Saved his life that day,but he still had bad luck,my cousin thought he was a she during anterless season.Poor guy could not win for loseing.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:28 PM

GOOD REPLY , TIMBER
Old 09-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ourrules are much simpler.Legally we do not have buck or doe tags but instead we have antlered tags and antlerless tags.Any animal with an antler measuring 4" or more is consideredantlered and any animal that doesn't is consideredantlerless.As such nobody calls an antlerless deer a buck whether it is male or female.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:27 PM

Shooting a button buck is no big deal. He's going to disperse at least a mile if not 5 or 6 anyways, so making the mistake of bagging a nub every now and then doesn't bother me the least.

slayer
Old 09-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Once I went to worrying about paying attention to whether or not a deer was a button, I have not made any mistakes. I shot a few buttons when I was young and not so picky. I really doubt I'll ever shoot one again.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:52 PM

Good post TIMBER.

I also agree and if I were your members I would kick you out.

I have first had exp. with this same thing. The last club I was in, we had the same problem. We were a dog club. A lot of people misjudge and shoot button bucks. The button buck count was getting ridclius. One year we even got a letter from the state DNR saying we were shooting way too many. So we voted on a rule that if you killed one it would be a $100 fine. This sure cut the number down.

After we done this we had trees shooting deer. No one wanted to claim a button buck once they shot it. If they were caught they were out of the club. To some, like myself, hunting is part of life. So I do not care to hunt with dishonest people.

I usually don't call people out at all, but this time I will say that I would not care to hunt with a person like yourself or even notice you as a hunter.[] Not only did you be dishonest, you bragged on it. [&o]

Quick Reply: Whoops! That was a button buck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.