Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Why does everyone look down on PA? >

Why does everyone look down on PA?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why does everyone look down on PA?

Old 08-05-2016, 12:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not bad SH54, ya just have to keep repeating it.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Nope, no good deer in PA. No reason for anybody to come here.
-Jake
Old 08-05-2016, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

You guys convinced me. I'll just stay here in MI and let you guys hunt those runts!
Old 08-05-2016, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Actually Rock, Pa has some damn fine farmland and dirt in a LOT of areas. The main reasons behind the generally smaller body size of the past was poor conservation practices leading to horrible habitat to population numbers. Not to mention the "if it's brown it's down" mentality and the lazy stump "hunters" <--(note the quotations) and basically just plain old stupidity abounding among the hunting community. While OT and I often argue about the aggressiveness of the deer reduction program in several areas I hunted up in Northern Pa, the overall state population of deer were really helped and seem MUCH healthier now. Larger bodies, bigger racks, just over all good looking deer are coming back. They have always had good quality, high nutrition browse, just not enough to feed the out of control population.
Yeah I don't know anything about dirt in PA....I just know good dirt is very important. Definitely a lot more factors for sure.

You have to have good dirt to make it possible(natural or man made) but good dirt doesn't mean your going to have big deer no matter what.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Rockport! I think you have "the dirt" on growing big whitetails both literally and figuratively!
Old 08-06-2016, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

The soil on our land is thin and acidic so it is a challenge to grow certain things. But Mother Nature is clever and gives us plenty of native plants that are good for deer. Our property is all overgrown clear cut, so they have an insane amount of browse. Not the quality of agriculture, but it will do. Beech nuts, cherry, blueberries and apples are the mast species we have.

We have two large fields that we have been liming, fertilizing and rotating crops on for a good 10 years now. The soil there is now excellent. Also, in the winter, we put out about a dozen 1000lb bales of high-moisture alfalfa. I love watching our best bucks eating that all winter and know they will be well fed until spring green up.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yeah, if anybody wonders how we have beech nuts, apples and cherries with al the overgrown clear cuts, I failed to mention that there are a few areas on the property that were left as mature forest and there's an orchard with about 15 apple trees.

My dad and I have planted 450 oak trees since 1994 to make up for the lack of those since the cuttings. The first one had a small acorn crop last year.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why would anyone pick on the poor Pa hunters

Why they are the same people who want to hunt 200 yards from a road or trail, and pick a spot where there are more than 12 hunters per square mile. And now they are using tree stands that commit them to one place.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have no idea what you were trying to say!
Old 08-18-2016, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

He said "The people that complain and pick on PA hunting are the same people who want to hunt 200 yards from the road or trail, the same people who hunt where there a 12 hunters per square mile, and the same people who build a treestand in one spot and only ever hunt there!"

Why they are the same people who want to hunt 200 yards from a road or trail, and pick a spot where there are more than 12 hunters per square mile. And now they are using tree stands that commit them to one place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.