HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How Do You Recognize a Buck from Year to Year (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/111197-how-do-you-recognize-buck-year-year.html)

BarnesX.308 09-01-2005 10:58 AM

How Do You Recognize a Buck from Year to Year

How do you know when a deer comes back next year that he's the same deer? If he was a 120lb 3 pointer and he comes back as a 170lb 8 pointer, how do you know it's him. You can't use antler charecteristics because his antlers are totally different. He's taller, thicker, etc....The following year he might be a 210lb 10 pointer with a sticker. How do you know it's him?

rybohunter 09-01-2005 11:37 AM

RE: How Do You Recognize a Buck from Year to Year

I've always wondered that myself. The only thing I can think is that once they get old and have a particular look to thier antlers, then it becomes easy, but to tell a 1 1/2 old in his next year I think has to be impossible, just from the rack. That said, I do believe I have for the 1st time ever seen a buck on consecutive years. Last year I saw a scrappy little 6, that was piebald slightly around his sides. This year I saw a beauty 8, perfect symmetry, with those same markings. I am just about positive its the same buck.

Dirt2 09-01-2005 11:54 AM

Kind of what rybohunter said, it's right next to impossible until they get older. Where I hunt I don't give a hoot until they get to 3 1/2 years old anyway, and I think I can identify those bucks from year to year with about 90% reliability. First, there just aren't that many bucks that make it to 4 1/2 y.o., andoften they have some unique antler characteristic by then. At that it isn't an exact science.

jeg3455 09-01-2005 12:11 PM

I try to use as many resources as possible: camera, video, game cams. Some times you can even use characteristics of a deer (ex: torn ear, some sort of marking like a tumor, or even like rybohunter said even piebald markings)

Allen Denton 09-01-2005 12:32 PM

I think once they are older they do not change near as much as they do when they are younger. It would be almost impossible to tell from their first couple of racks. As they get older ther are showing characteristics that stay with them from year to year.

cardeer 09-01-2005 02:40 PM

I dont worry about it.I'm not keeping a family history .just a full freezer.would not matter here anyway in the burbs of Philly.Deer dont usually see there 2nd birthday

Dampland 09-01-2005 02:40 PM

Look at the throat patch, the whiteness (or lack of) on the inside of the legs., the white ring around the eyes. Many of these things vary from deer to deer. I have a buck on my property that should be 3.5-4.5 this year. He has very, very dark hair along the front of his rear legs. He also has a white spot on the front of his heel of his front right leg.

Trail camera photos really does help spot these odd characteristics.

I also look for ear tears, and body scars. It certainly is easier with bucks versus does, but occasionally you can tell your looking a familiar doe too.

mahoningbuck 09-01-2005 03:43 PM

It is easy ask him for your deer tag, then stick em!

uncle matt 09-02-2005 07:35 AM

Name tags?

I know a guy who's significant other constantly refers to the deer seen or shot........

"Oh that's the one that always hangs around with that one with the messed up leg."

"You know, that's the one that goes along the edge of the front pasture (a half mile away) real quick."

"That's the one that ran out in front of the school bus, last August 30th at 8:02am"

Boy - you should see the eyes roll. All I know is that they are DEAD DEER hanging from a tree, on the ATV rack or in the bed of the trucks.