Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:49 AM
Spike

Default Topo

Ok here is a topo map and aerial photo of where I hunt. I don't know how to read a topo as to where I need to put a stand. I've looked up map reading on topo maps but my land is almost flat. Any Ideas?

Old 08-31-2005, 09:50 AM
Spike

Default RE: Topo

Alright I could only load one at a time.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:15 AM
Spike

Ok here is the other. hunting are outlined in red.

Old 08-31-2005, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

wow i guess the area you hunt is flat. i would try to do some scouting if you get the chance. try to find several source's of food for the deer. pay attention to any low lying area's(old creek bottoms,road beds ect...) if you find a well used trail... start looking to either side of it for rubs,scrapes ect.... it may be different in your neck of the woods but most well used trails up here(ny) are used year round by doe and yearling's... with the bucks using smaller trails to the side(normaly 50 to 60 yrd's away).

hope this helped you out a bit
Old 08-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would spend a couple of days scouting the area looking for trails. Are any of the fields that show planted in crops? That may be the key to the stand placement. Looks like a few areas there that could be planted in food plots.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:27 PM

I like an aireal map myself. Get out and scout a map can't show you deer.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:28 PM

I like an aireal map myself. Get out and scout. No map can show you better than scouting.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:37 PM

Find the deepest, darkest, nastiest, briar/thicket, swamp, impenitrable, most bug infested, hardest to access area. Go there and scout it.Find thetrailbetween the main food plot and aforementioned nasty area.I bet thats where you sould set up
Old 08-31-2005, 08:37 PM
Spike

I've already scouted. Been scouting all year. On the aerial map I have my house marked and I've scouted the forest and fields around and behind my house. The fields have corn and beans plantted in them. There were rubs and scrapes directly behind my house last year. I was just wondering if the combination of the maps showed anything else I could use like the ridge that runs across my property or any very good funnels ect...
Old 09-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

hehe we kinda have the same idea in the same state. heres mine

Quick Reply: Topo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.