Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.410 on deer?

Old 08-31-2005, 08:47 PM

Default RE: .410 on deer?

I don't understand why you'd want to use a .410 on deer when so many other better options are available. Just because you could kill a deer with it doesn't mean it's a good choice. I know .410 are nice and light guns that are fun to shoot but seriously, shouldn't you be trying to kill the deer in the first shot and not relying on 5! If the 12 ga recoil scares you then get in the kitchen and wait for me to bring you meat to cook.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:33 PM

Max...........

I agree with using other calibers or guages for deer. The thing I was looking at in your reply is that " I don't understand why you'd want to use a .410 on deer when ........"

With that said, why would you want to use a bow when you can use a high powered rifle?

Just being a smart tail! LOL......no offense.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:07 AM
Typical Buck

had a uncle years ago in fl and all he hunted with was a 410 he used it for squirels and each year he would kill at least one deer he would just sit in a hammock and the things would just walk in i know its a small gun for deer but if that is all you had it will work this was in the 60's and i would hunt with him each year
Old 09-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the 12 ga recoil scares you then get in the kitchen and wait for me to bring you meat to cook.
AWWW YOU MISS YOUR WIFE CAUSE SHES OVER HERE DONT YOU. (lol j/p)
Old 09-01-2005, 08:44 PM

You guys did catch me on that one. I'm a bowhunter who plans on taking a selfbow into the woods even though I've got a very nice Hoyt with quiet a few deer to it's name. But let's put things into perspective, that self bow is a 60+ draw and I'm still using modern broadheads. In my hands it's as accurate and deadly up to 25 yards as my Hoyt is to 35. No matter how you look at it, it's still a deer killer. Now a .410 on the other hand is almost always used for small game. My little .410 sitting behind me in it's case as I type has taken a mess of squirrels, about a dozen rabbits, a few doves and one raccoon who took too long to leave my garden. That raccoon is about the largest animal I consider the .410 suitable for. I'm sure it could take larger stuff such as coyotes, turkey and deer but that's why I own a 12 gauge. My 12 ga double is only about a pound heavier than the .410 but it's killing power is vastly more. I agree that it's recoil may bite your shoulder a bit but it's powerfull enough where I only need one pull of the trigger to do what the .410 needs 4 or 5.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:57 AM

I don't know anyone that has killed a deer with a 410 that neaded that many shots. Most were single shot H&Rs or something like that. There is no reason why if you can kill one with an arrow you can't kill one with a 410 if you limit your range accordingly.

I understand that an arrow works under a different principle as a bullet does, but any projectile thru the lungs is going to kill a deer. You just may have to track it some. Now if you think you are going to drop a 150 lb deer at 100 yards in it's tracks with a 410 you have another thing coming. That third, fourth and fifth shot are not going to anything the first one didn't if it went in the right place.

Believe me, every season I see quite a few people that fire 4 or 5 shots with a 12 guage to bring a deer down. If you have that mind set it really doesn't matter what caliber weapon you are using. I can see a lot of hunters from my blind. I hear a lot of shooting, yet never see any of them drag a deer any where? Yet I manage to kill one every year with a single shot from a muzzle loader.

If you have to take more than one shot it was not because of what you were using, it is because you missed or used the weapon beyond it's capable limits. Both being the hunters fault, not the choice in weapon.

Paul
Old 09-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Believe me, every season I see quite a few people that fire 4 or 5 shots with a 12 guage to bring a deer down. If you have that mind set it really doesn't matter what caliber weapon you are using. I can see a lot of hunters from my blind. I hear a lot of shooting, yet never see any of them drag a deer any where? Yet I manage to kill one every year with a single shot from a muzzle loader.

If you have to take more than one shot it was not because of what you were using, it is because you missed or used the weapon beyond it's capable limits. Both being the hunters fault, not the choice in weapon.

Paul
Well put.

I myself own a 12 guage am 6'2" 240 and seriously thinking of using a 410 or muzzleloader because I do not like the 12 guages accuracy. When i started hunting I used a 30-30 and never missed what I shot at. With my 12 guage I can't seem to hit the side of a barn.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

up close and personal....maybe head shots...he wont run too far,,he wont be wounded, and we can all eat
Old 09-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had rather ride up and down the roads in a 76 Ford pickup and broadside one up side the head with abatas to hunt deer with a .410. (JMHO)
Old 09-03-2005, 10:37 PM

If you are going to hunt at bow hunting distances I don't see any problem. In fact, I would rather use the .410 than a bow lol. Inside of 40 yards I don't question its killing ability one bit. If you can't kill a deer, standing broadside, at 35 yards, with a .410 slug there is something wrong with your ability to shoot, lol.

Quick Reply: .410 on deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.