HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   how to hunt deer in this situation? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/110913-how-hunt-deer-situation.html)

eddie_v21 08-30-2005 10:18 AM

how to hunt deer in this situation?

where i hunt it is mostly ridges with pastures on each side.its a roughly 2 mile square give or take.there is no dominant food source.its anything from one of the fields or pastures on each side or my apple trees my neighbors appls trees and the woman up the roads apple trees.there is a dirt road that runs right between this and you can see them crossing the right in front of my house just up the road and what not.i dont think there is one particular bedding area either.sometimes it seems the top of the ridge behind my house sometimes is hot and sometimes the deep valley across the road from my house is hot.its hard to tell where these deer will be and when.any help on patterning them or hunting them?by the way ive hunted this now for two years and killed three does and no bucks.however this area is ate up with rubs and scrapes and looks like it would hold some nice bucks(espescially the valley across the road from my house its THICK for the biggest part)any help?

cardeer 08-30-2005 11:32 AM

RE: how to hunt deer in this situation?

All you can do is hunt the heavy trail areas . Set up axxording to the wind .Dont walk on the trails .and for buck, In the rut they will be where the does are.And the scrapes.

il coyote 08-30-2005 11:42 AM

you said that there was no dominant food source, butin a 2 mile patch, they will be eating more than just apples(an all apple diet, talk about the squirts!) i've found that apples are more like a snack than a meal to deer. find what the main food is, acorn, beans, corn,etc. and start from there.

now get to scoutin'

Jimmy S 08-30-2005 12:20 PM

eddie....As others have said, I would find the food source and that would be the case no matter what woods you hunt. I would look for heavily traveled trails leading to/from these areas and setup there. Fresh and old tracks along with fresh and old dropping tell me the trail is currently being well used. I would setup off that trail keeping the wind in consideration. Also you said you have not shot a buck there yet. Maybe if you let the does walk and focus on shooting the bucks, you wishes may be fulfilled...
Good Luck......Jimmy

TomFromTheShade 08-30-2005 01:31 PM

There are a few different ways that you can hunt an area like this.

1. You can hunt the food sources. Either you can scout around to find out what these deer are eating and hunt them there, or you can make a nice food plot and bring them to you.

2. You can hunt the water sources. I don't know what the water sources look like, but you can bet that if there is only one pond in the area that the deer will be there to drink every now and again.

3. You can hunt trails. The most productive trails will be between food and bedding areas. I know that you say that you don't know where they are bedding so you will have to make an educated guess.

4. Still hunting. This is not a bad method when you are clueless about the activities of the deer in your area.

Rebel Hog 08-30-2005 09:19 PM

I like Tom's way!