HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Do some take more than they need?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/11078-do-some-take-more-than-they-need.html)

PABuck_HNTR 09-28-2002 02:28 PM

Do some take more than they need??

Do you think some hunters kill more deer than they really need?

I only ask because some guys that I work with hunt both Pa and NY, in total a few of them can get 9 deer....

Is this excessive?

SUPPORT YOUR SPORT
JOIN THE NRA

timbercruiser 09-28-2002 02:53 PM

RE: Do some take more than they need??

I think when the wildlife biologist set the limits they know that only a very small percentage of hunters will obtain the limit. They look at the herd size and othere factors to make their decisions. Many of the southern states have longer seasons and more liberal bag limits and we still have an overpopulation in many areas.

carpetguy 09-28-2002 06:18 PM

I agree with timbercruiser,

In IL we are allowed 2 racked deer.And unlimited does,till the quota is fill for each county.Our bow tags may be used in any part of the state.

The report for last year was not nearly the does were harvested as was expected.I wouldnt be surprised if they were to drop the bag limit to one buck next year if it happens again this year.In hopes we hunters start taking more does.

It's not how big the Deer,But the size of the experiance that matters!!

THE DEER SLAYER 09-28-2002 07:12 PM

In overpopulated areas I don't have a problem with it. But in places that arn't why would you shoot more deer than you need.

usa 09-28-2002 07:42 PM

Actually most hunter's don't NEED any venison, if it's legal and thought out by people who set game limit's , then it's nobody's business what anyone take's , usahunter

2-Gun

PABuck_HNTR 09-28-2002 08:27 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Actually most hunter's don't NEED any venison, if it's legal and thought out by people who set game limit's , then it's nobody's business what anyone take's , usahunter <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

I read that 4 times and still don't understand it?????

SUPPORT YOUR SPORT
JOIN THE NRA

weezer 09-29-2002 11:10 PM

As long as it's not wasted, I don't care how many deer people harvest LEGALLY.

PaulBear 09-30-2002 06:26 AM

As long as it's legal, I do think some take more than they need and end up throwing it away because it got freezer burnt, I say take what you will use and if a guy want's to keep on hunting great there are good program's out there like hunter's feed the hungry...good luck

buckmine 09-30-2002 08:59 AM

Yes they do, but it of course is not effecting the population.

I know people who by tags for there wives and the wives don't go out.

Last year my friends group shot more deer than needed. I told him I would take a deer if they were not all claimed. He told my brother in law to take the extra deer and give it to me. He kept it for his family and I went without venison last year. My brother in law had five deer for his family whichj of course includes my sister

Tazman 09-30-2002 10:38 AM

In Va. we can kill 3 buck and over 100 doe if you are willing to pay for bonus doe permits. I will fill my freezer and then donate any others to Hunters For the Hungry. As long as the meat is not wasted and it is legal I see nothing wrong with taking all you can.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club