Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hanging An Animal

Old 08-26-2005, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hanging An Animal

How long do you hang your animal after he is skinned and gutted? What is a good temperature to hang in? What temp would be to HOT to hang in. I don't have a meat locker so the only choice I have is in my garage. I was living in an apartment 2 years ago when I bagged my bear. I had to hang him in a friends garage for three days. Problem is the weather turned warm the last day. I cut him up and put him in the refrigerator at home while I processed the meat. I finally got around to the last cut, the ribs, about 4 days later and they were covered in mold. I ended up throwing them out. I blamed the hot weather on spoiling the meat. All of the other meat was good and in fact we are still eating it. We had some bear roats the other night. My wife is wanting me to get another one this year. So how long do you hang meat and at what temperature range?
Old 08-26-2005, 02:08 PM

Default RE: Hanging An Animal

depends, if its warm i do it rite then and put it on ice, if its cold i let it hang till dayligt the next morning after the hunt ofcoarse.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: SHoNUFF

depends, if its warm i do it rite then and put it on ice, if its cold i let it hang till dayligt the next morning after the hunt ofcoarse.
Same here!
Old 08-26-2005, 03:13 PM

a good temp. to let him hang over night or possibly two days is around 32 degrees or colder, we did that when i lived in missouri, but when i moved to georgia, i will kill it and cut it within the hour, you can still let the meat sit just put it in a cooler with plenty of ice and keep changing it out. to hot would be anything over 40 (that is my opinion, my aunt and uncle own are butchers, they do not agree, they think anything over freezing can go bad, but i havent been sick yet) good luck
Old 08-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Down here it is almost always too hot to let meat hang. I always quarter my deer and put it in an ice chest. I used to be antsy about getting it processed, usually within a day or two, if I was still out hunting. After seeing people letting meat stay on ice for 7-9 days, I don't worry about it anymore. Just keep the water drained off, and add new ice when needed, and it ages the meat, and allows the blood to drain out too. It's about the same as hanging it for a while.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:06 PM

OIC, I thought this was something to do with Lynching.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:16 PM

We gut our deer at camp and ity is always cold in the UP so depending on the day of the kill, it might hang for up to 4 days in the cold weather.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also hunt in the UP and it is usually plenty cold to let a deer hang for a day if it needs to. I have never been a big fan of letting the deer hang for days on end before butchering it. We do all of our own processing and it is really not a hard process. In a different post, someone had mentioned that you would never think of hanging a t-bone outside for days...so why do it to a deer. I have to agree with that post. I think that "gamey" meat can generally be blamed on the handler. A properly cleaned and trimmed animal is the best way to deliver quality meat to the table. Processing when still warm is best way in my opinion and then removing all silver skin and fat.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

We will usually hang the deer for about 12-14 hours before it is cut. The deer will get skinned the day - usually within a few hours - of being hung up, and then the next day it will get cut up. South Dakota in November is usually pretty chilly so heat is not really a problem.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:27 PM

ORIGINAL: WARedBear

How long do you hang your animal after he is skinned and gutted? What is a good temperature to hang in? What temp would be to HOT to hang in. I don't have a meat locker so the only choice I have is in my garage. I was living in an apartment 2 years ago when I bagged my bear. I had to hang him in a friends garage for three days. Problem is the weather turned warm the last day. I cut him up and put him in the refrigerator at home while I processed the meat. I finally got around to the last cut, the ribs, about 4 days later and they were covered in mold. I ended up throwing them out. I blamed the hot weather on spoiling the meat. All of the other meat was good and in fact we are still eating it. We had some bear roats the other night. My wife is wanting me to get another one this year. So how long do you hang meat and at what temperature range?
I have been hanging and processing my own meat for about 10 years. I learned From an old country butcher who was in business for over 60+ years. First of all you should be using a cooler, you cant control the temperature in a garage. Its really dangerous and your tempting to spoil or contaminateyour meat. This can happen in a surprisingly short amount of time. I prefer to hang my animals with the skin still on. This keeps the meat clean andacts as an insulator. (The skin keeps the animal warm while he his alive and helps it stay cool once you've got him hung up.) The skin alsoacts an air tight wrapper preventing the meat from darkening and drying out. I generally hang my animalsby the neck or by tyeing a rope around the base of the rack. Hanging the animal hams down allows anyblood and bloody water to drain from theabdominal cavitythrough the opening at the ass end. (Its the Blood and bloody water that speeds the spoilage of meat.) I also cut the legs off at the knee or hock joint to allow blood to drain from the large muscle groups.I hang the animalfor 7 to 8 days at a controlled temperaturearound 45 degrees. This temperature allows the SAFE bacteria to grow thus tenderizing and adding flavor to the meat. Around day 4 or 5 you will see the formation of a Grey mold on the exposed areas of the hams by the abdominal cavity. This is NOT a sign of spoilage it justgrows from being exposed to Air and high humidity. (This is the same mold that forms on Country Ham and chesses.) You just wash it off when you butcher your meat.By hanging the animal this way you will notice aconsiderable lack of blood and mess while butchering. Your meat will also cut allot easier and neater using this method. Not to mention that skinning is just a matter of cut and pull. NOTE: You'll need to remove the "Inner loins" prior to hanging, they will be exposedto the air and will dry out quickly. There is allot of discussion personalopinionabout Temperature and and hang time.This is the system that works for me. Ive been doing it this way for along time, no one has died and many people have commented that my deer doesn't have a "Gamey" Taste.This method is mainly for deer, if you don't have access to a large cooler you may want to invest in a couple of used refrigerators and quarter you meat to hang. But the whole hanging meat in a garage is in my opinion a badidea. Good luck in your future hunts and continue being a bringer of meat.

Quick Reply: Hanging An Animal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.