Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help Me Pick a scope For Deer

Old 08-25-2005, 08:59 AM

Default Help Me Pick a scope For Deer

I got a package scope rifle combo from savage last year and the simmons scope is absolute crap. The gun is a 7mm Rem Mag and after a few shots the scope moves. Anyway I am choosing between these scope and I would like any input you guys have.

Leupold
Vari X I
3-9X(40-50)
$339-429 CAD

Bushnell
Elite 3200
3-9X(40-50)
$249-299 CAD

Thanks in advance
Old 08-25-2005, 09:05 AM

Default RE: Help Me Pick a scope For Deer

if you got that kind of money to spend get yourself a Leupold or Nikon. They both have really good warranties and are superior optically to simmons and bushnell.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:08 AM

Keep in mind those are Canadian Dollars
Old 08-25-2005, 09:51 AM

Leupold. Period.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

You might try www.opticstalk.com and their www.samplelist.com
sales list. Good folks there at SWFA. They will have their normal pricing list on the left of the site. Check the prices of their Conquest line.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:22 AM

You just opened up a big can of worms. Hope this doesn't go on like the 30-30 vs. .243 thread.

If those are your only two options I would say go with the Leupold. I've never owned one, but I have owned Bushnell and IMO they suck.

(my opinion) You can buy other scopes cheaper than those and have a scopeas good if not better. One of the best decisions I ever made on scopes was a Tasco World Class Plus. I still have it on my .270. You and others may laugh at it and go pay $500+ for a more expensive scope just b/c you seen some famous hunter use it on the OUTDOOR channel, but facts are facts.

My best friend has a 7mm and uses a Vari X I and I can hunt at least 20-30 minutes later than he can due to my scope holding more light. To me there are two things I look for in a good scope, abilty to gather light and abitly to hold its accuracy.

Same witha buddy of mine that has a Vari X III on a .270 WBY MAG. Also the same for a couple of guys at my old club with SIMMON's scopes. I can hunt later than they can. The Tasco has never fogged up or had to be reset.

I got into a knock down drag out argument with a guy one night over scopes. He had a ZEISSand I would always come out of the woods later than he would. One day he said "theres no way you can see with that cheap ass scope b/c I can't see out of mine and it costs almost $1,000" He got really pissed when i handed him my rifle and he looked through the scope.

Don't get me wrong, i am not knocking any other scope companies b/c I am sure they are fine optics, I am just saying, make your choice based on performance and not a paid advertisment or hunter who was sold by this paid advertisment. I just see no sense in spending $500 for a scope b/c of its name IF there is one that costs less than half that, but still has as good as or better quality. A lot people say, "I bet if someone gave him a high dollar scope he would use it instead of that el cheap-o" If it out preformed my scope, yes, if not, then I would gladly stick to mine.

Thats why I love America, we can make our own choices. Oh yea and Canada.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:58 AM

Strut makes a good point about light transmission. This is more affected by the scopes exit pupil than other factors. So if your low price scope has good exit pupil it will tramsmit more light to your eye.

The reason I like Leupold and Nikon though is mainly their unlimited lifetime waranty. I can bang nails with my VX-II and send it to Leupold they'll fix or replace it no questions asked. If your tough on gear like I am thats why they are worth the extra money.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Spike

Well, there seems to be a lot of support for the Leupold, but I have an Elite 4200 2.5-10x50 and i can't imagine a better scope for the money. Light transmission is AMAZING and the clarity is fantastic. I can clearly see well after legal shooting time.

The test that convinced me isI took it and threw it in the freezer for about an hour, took it out and breathed on the lens, and then looked through it. The rainguard was awesome. I could have made a shot easy.

Sorry Strut, but I have to knock Tasco. My father has had a Bushnell 3-9x on his Browning 30-06 for about 35 years now. Every season he takes it to the range, fires three shells at 100 yds, and puts the gun back in the case. Al three shots are TOUCHING, and he's done that for 7 years in a row. I bought two Tascos before I bought my Bushnell and neither one made it into the bush. I took them to the range to sight them in, and couldn't get them to settle. The bushnell settled in right away.

Wake, go with what ever feels right, but you won't be disappointed with a Bushnell Elite 4200.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah was wondering how you were paying that kind of $$$ for a Vari X 1. I'd go Leupold.

Just bought me a VX-II 3-9x40 for my 30-06. And got a VX-II 2-7x33 on my Knight muzzleloader. I don't own a lot of scopes, but Leupolds seem to be excellent.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with the "either Nikon or Leupold" suggestion. Both provide very solid scope designs with excellent optics for the price.

Quick Reply: Help Me Pick a scope For Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.