Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Best factory .243 cartridge for whitetail >

Best factory .243 cartridge for whitetail

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best factory .243 cartridge for whitetail

Old 08-24-2005, 07:29 PM
Spike

Default Best factory .243 cartridge for whitetail

OK guys... don't want to know a better caliber, don't want to know why the .243 isn't a good deer cartridge, don't want to start the old .243 pissin contest.

Simply want to know (from experience), what is the best factory cartridge in .243 for hunting deer... shooting distance 75yd. to 200yd. typical.

Thanks in advance for your input!!
Old 08-24-2005, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best factory .243 cartridge for whitetail

personally, unless I get a bit bored, or really ahead of myself, my 243 is the only gun that steps into the woods with me. I use it for everything. the load...I use federal premium sierra game kings in 100 gr. put several deer down very quickly with it. I shot a crop damage deer at about 125-150yds last year, and several others under that. I've noticed mixed results as far as full penetration is concerned...ie, shot this buck last year at 60 yds...bullet stayed in him. 125-150 yd shot, straight through. I like this load alot. I don't see myself straying from it.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Federal Premium 85gr HPBT Sierra GameKing...this after using a .243 since 1980...Killing about 75 with 100gr CoreLokts...Also like the Hornady loading and the Federal Premium in Nosler Partition and the Federal Premium 100 gr SPBT
that Hoyt mentions...btw...the 85grbullet gives full penetration in more cases than the Federal 100 gr SPBT GameKing and either of the Winchester PowerPoint loadings...Good Luck
Old 08-25-2005, 05:31 AM
Spike

Thanks for the input... I always thought 85g was a little small for deer, but apparently not.

Anyone else have feedback on their favorite .243?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Fed. 100gr NP
Old 08-25-2005, 06:49 AM

I use Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 95 grain. I shot a200 lb. 8 point at 180 yards last year and he dropped like I hit him with a .300 ultra mag. They're a little pricey, but well worth it!
Old 08-25-2005, 07:12 AM

I intend to try those this fall. I have got them sighted in and tried them on ground hogs (95gr) they do a really good job on them too! Center of mass shots tend to gut them. Head and neck shots are very damaging also. Maybe a good dual purpose round for a dual purpose caliber! Guess that's what 3100 fps out the muzzle will do.

ORIGINAL: TrophyBux

I use Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 95 grain. I shot a200 lb. 8 point at 180 yards last year and he dropped like I hit him with a .300 ultra mag. They're a little pricey, but well worth it!
Old 08-25-2005, 07:26 AM

It is interesting that on the Federal website, the 85gr BTHP is listed for use on class 1 animals. Which they say is varmints, predators, small game.Deer consideredlight game, according to them. They list the 100gr BTHP for deer.
Don't get me wrong, if it works, it works.

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Federal Premium 85gr HPBT Sierra GameKing...this after using a .243 since 1980...Killing about 75 with 100gr CoreLokts...Also like the Hornady loading and the Federal Premium in Nosler Partition and the Federal Premium 100 gr SPBT
that Hoyt mentions...btw...the 85grbullet gives full penetration in more cases than the Federal 100 gr SPBT GameKing and either of the Winchester PowerPoint loadings...Good Luck
Old 08-25-2005, 09:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ballistic tips will kill a deer, but so will a 68 Ford pickup. I won't be hunting with either.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I was first told about the Federal Premium 85gr BTHP loading being used on deer I too didn't believe it was "enough" bullet...I told the owner of the gun shop in Ahoskie, NC "Thats a groundhog bullet"...He simply said "Try it, you will see"...He told me that most of his .243 shooters were using that bullet...especially over bean fields.....

But first, let me back up a bit...I've been using the same gun a Ruger M-77 in .243 since 1980....I have a Leupold VX-II 3x9x40 scope on this rifle....From 1980 to 1995 I used 100gr Remington CoreLokts....killed about 75 deer with that bullet...I got curious about the "premium" bullets that were coming out and wanted to see if they were "better"....I will say up front that for most of the 130 or so deer that I have killed with this rifle the CoreLokts would have done just fine....

My goal was to kill 5-6 deer with each factory loading (that my rifle would group well) and see if there was much difference in how fast they killed...since we own 3 family farms in eastern NC and kill 45-50 deer a year I had a good "testing" ground....My brothers both have sons and they use 2-.270s, a 280 and a 7mm-08...so I also know what they will do to a deer....about the second year one of my hunting partners decided to replace his 30-06 and bought a .243...he was a non-believer...until he had helped me skin 15-20 deer.....so he was able to help me with the testing....We would kill 5-6 deer with each factory loading, we took only high shoulder shots and center lung shots at this time (no neck shots) because we were testing penetration, exit hole size, blood trail...etc...

These are the loadings we tested....
Federal Premium...both the 100 gr Partition and the 100gr SPBT
Federal Classic...100 gr SP
Winchester...100 gr PowerPoints both Supreme and Classic
Hornady...100gr SP Interlock Custom
Remington CoreLokts...100gr
Remington Premium...100gr SPBT..no longer loaded
Nitrex...100gr GrandSlam...I don't think this is loaded either..I can't find around here anymore

My findings were...I felt the PowerPoints were "too soft" I didn't get an exit on lung shots...and one of these was a smaller doe at 150 yards...hit dead center behind the shoulder but, no exit...I can't say I had "bullet faliure" because I have a nice 9 point hanging in my office that I killed with the Supreme loading 100gr PowerPoint....shot at about 50 yards, center lung shot...he went only 50 yards and piled up...but I had no exit wound...the Winchester ballistic tips didn't group well in my gun...

Federal Classic 100gr...shot a good 6 point buck at about 40 yards in the shoulder...he dropped...but....bullet shed the core...instant kill...but didn't feel good about the way the core and jacket seperated...this bullet did usually exit on lung shots..

Remington Supreme 100gr SPBT...too hard...would always exit...but small exit hole...only the size of a nickle...I like at least a one inch diameter exit and 1 1/2 is better....quit using after killing 4 deer with...deer would run 100-125 yards after a lung shot...Discontinued anyway...

Federal Premium and GrandSlam....both these bullets did well...they seem to do the same damage to shoulders and lungs...usually penetrate all the way through even with shoulder shots...Good bullet for the hunter that "always" wants an exit...

Hornady....The Light Mags did not group well in my gun...or my buddies....too bad...the Custom did very well...almost the same as a Partition...maybe a little "softer"....blow through on lung shots...usually good blood trail...Good loading..

Federal Premium 100gr SPBT...This bullet is softer than the Hornady...but was very accurate in my gun and in fact was what I was using when I started using the 85gr HPBT...it usually exits on lung shots...unless they are close...but lung shot deer don't go more than 50 yards after hit....in fact this bullet drops deer faster with lung hits than a Partition or a Hornady...never had one go over 50 yards and most drop within 25-30...on shoulder shots...it goes through both and will drop these in there tracks....

Remington CoreLokts...100gr...good bullet, especially for the price..
never lost a deer hit with this bullet and it grouped well in my gun...exits on lung shots...1 1/2 to 2 inch hole on other side...about the same damage as a Hornady 100 gr...might be just a tad softer than a Hornady...average deer hunter would never see the difference...

The best for my purposes were the CoreLokts, the Hornady and both Federal loadings in the Partition and the Sierra GameKing SPBT....After the tests my buddy had settled on the Custom Hornady loading, while I had settled on the Federal Sierra 100gr SPBT.....

Then...I walked into that gunshop in Ahoskie....and had the conversation with the owner....

I thought...what the heck...I'll give them a try...I went back to our campsite and shot them...they only grouped 1/2 inch higher than the 100 grains...so I left my scope alone....that evening I was sitting over a bean field...3 does stepped out....100 yards away...I shot one...she dropped....when we dressed her out...the bullet had gone through both shoulder blades...and was under the hide on the off side....
The next evening I setup over a peanut field....I had tried the bullet at 250 yards that afternoon and found that it was dead on at that range...I could have easily had a 300 yard shot that afternoon...I thought...with this bullet going 3320 fps...I might have found a long range loading....I had been on stand about an hour and hear something running in the swamp behind me...here comes a big doe...I stand up and turn around...she stops about 35 yards away...I hit her in the right shoulder blade...she drops..never even kicks....My fear had been a close shot...and bullet blowup...didn't happen...
The third evening I'm sitting over a cut corn field...shots start here at 150 and could be 300...a 2 1/2 year old buck steps out...my brother and I had been seeing this buck...and had decided he was a cull....he gets to 150 yards...broadside...I hit him right behind the left shoulder...center lung....I go to track him....there is blood and lung matter in the field...a 3 inch wide blood trail...he goes about 60 yards...

At about that time...I realized "maybe" this wasn't a groundhog bullet...My hunting partner decided after seeing the results on these three deer that he would also switch to this load...We have since killed 30 whitetails with this bullet....have not lost one....longest shot was 265 yards lasered...that 8 point was hit between the last two ribs...bullet angled up through the right side shoulder blade and was found under the hide...he dropped...

I called Federal and asked about this bullet...They admit that they just do the loading....and have changed the boxes the last few years...showing their use for deer....but they haven't changed the web site....

I also called Sierra...they make the bullet...I was told that they get more calls on this bullet dropping deer in their tracks than any other two deer bullets that they make...This bullet was actually designed as a long range antelope/deer bullet....In Sierra's Newsletter..Volume 7 Number 4 ...They talk about their hollow point bullets (except .22cal) being harder than the soft points....I have found this to be true...the 85gr HPBT actually exits more ofter than the Federal 100gr SPBT and either Winchester 100gr PowerPoint loadings...

The real eye opener was when I decided to try a few loadings at 300 yards...I tried the CoreLokts, Hornadys and the Federal 100gr SPBT...all sighted in 2 1/2 inches high at 100...at 300 they were 8-12 inches low.....the 85g...2 1/2 high at 100...2 1/2 to 3 inches low at 300....for a few years I would load a Hornady or Partition for my woods hunting as they both shot close to poi at 100 yards...and reserve the 85gr for fields....I no longer do that....I use the 85gr for everything...and have had no problems...In fact last year I shot a nice 8 point in the woods at 35 yards....center lung....exit was about 2 inches....he went 50 yards...good blood trail....

If your shots are all under 150-200 yards...pick whatever you want...at least now you know what to expect from the above factory loadings....

If shots are expected past 200 yards....I would recommend the Federal 85gr...its travelling faster at 300 yards than most factory 100 grain loadings are at 200 yards...Good Luck....

Quick Reply: Best factory .243 cartridge for whitetail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.