Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

treestand suggestion

Old 08-24-2005, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default treestand suggestion

I am looking to buy a climber that will be used for shotgun hunting only. Looking to spend $200-$250, and will be backpacking it in every time, so weight needs to be taken into consideration. Does anyone have any suggestions for a stand? Do the shooting rails really help much?
Thanks.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: treestand suggestion

One simple word: SUMMIT.

You can't go wrong with a Summit Viper stand or any of the Summit line of stands. They are the most lightest, most stable, most quietest, stand that I have seen!

http://www.summitstands.com

Old 08-24-2005, 06:34 AM
Typical Buck

YEP, the summit. I would have to agree. I have the viper model and it's certainly light enough to wear on your back. I think the weight was something like 17 lbs or about. It's a nice sturdy, quiet stand. I would also recomment. It's also in your price range.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:13 AM
Dominant Buck

SUMMIT!!! Me too. I love mine. Super safe and comfortable.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:05 PM

I too am looking to buy a climber this year, but don't know where to start. I notice that most of them use the cables to go around the tree, but I've used one that had a metal bar with teeth that came around. Is the cable the safest or just as easy?

Also, are there any that you don't have to use the straps to get your feet in? How about some that just have a spot for your feet to go under some metal?

I used one a few years ago and I think it was an ol man that used the metal teeth thing at the top instead of a strap and also had a metal spot to put your feet in. In fact, it didn't use any straps or cables at all. Anyone know anything about that?

I'll be looking to backpack mine in each day where I'm going so I'd like it small and light.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:20 PM

It has to be a Summit...... When your out there in the dark trying to get up that tree you will love those cables. They are very easy to use even in the dark..........
Old 08-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with ole Butch ... I have hunted with a Summit ever since they were built in a barn by Bobby and Larry Shadden of Summerville Alabama ....for the money they are hard to beat !
Roll Tide
DD

Old 08-24-2005, 05:22 PM

Tree Lounge...no doubt the most confortable stand, easiest climber, great rests, 360 degrees of shooting, lightweight, portable, and most importantly SILENT...best tree stand out.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

i guess i'll be the oddball here, i like dd, have hunted for years with the summit products, but when my last summit was stolen, i bought a used ole man the "grand ol' man" and i have three ol' man brand clinbers now, and i love em, not that i didn't love the summits, and in all fairness have not used the newer summits, anything 15 years or newer[:-], i have also never tried the tree lounge but it seems people that have them love em. as far as weight, at one time ol' man was building a carbon fiber climber, the two drawbacks were the price and the weight limitations (225# this includes gun, boots, and clothing) but the climber itself only weighed 17 or 19# and was a dream to hunt in. i don't think you'd be disapointed in any of the mentioned stands, if this is your first climber please get with someone who can instruct and inform you of proper use, trust me there are some things you'll never want to try, like climbing a scaley bark hickory[:-]
Old 08-24-2005, 06:12 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: UPHunter89

Tree Lounge...no doubt the most confortable stand, easiest climber, great rests, 360 degrees of shooting, lightweight, portable, and most importantly SILENT...best tree stand out.
UP, I have two of the earlymodels. I bought themin 1990. Theyare made of
rectangularAircraft Tempered Aluminum. I stripped them and etched them with
Muratic Acid and used the camo spray kit. I have all the Accessories except the
Sniper Shack.

Quick Reply: treestand suggestion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.