Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to Bow Hunting

Old 08-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default New to Bow Hunting

Hello all, I am new to archery hunting and only have the basic equipment. I have a bow equipped, tree stand and goretex camoflage clothing and pack. What other kind of equipment do I need to have a chance at any success? Please keep in mind I don't want to spend a fortune. Please help out.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New to Bow Hunting

welcome ron3775, sounds like all you need is palce and time, you can go as elaborate or as simple as you choose, remember the indians have been doing it for years, there is also a bow section of this forum you may want to browse in. myself, i like to k.i.s.s., keep it simple stupid, best of luck
Old 08-21-2005, 09:49 PM

I agree, just spend time in the woods. I would recommend a pair of binoculars though. Good luck, and hunt safe.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:11 AM
Typical Buck

Please keep in mind I don't want to spend a fortune.
You can get by with the basic stuff but what fun is that? LOL! It sounds like you are set up well so spend time shooting and read everything you can get your hands on. Look at the "What to do AFTER the shot" posts for sure. Good luck and welcome.

SF
Old 08-22-2005, 12:20 AM
Typical Buck

welcome to the world of bowhunting...you'll never be the same.
you should really invest in a thermacell...they are worth their weight in gold.
make sure you practice, practice, and practice even more...good luck.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ron the only thing I might suggest is that you get a LOT of practice shooting from your stand AND you might want to consider using a pendulum sight. I can tell you that there is nothing worse then doing ALL the work it takes, spending the money it takes to deer hunt and then when it comes down to the moment of truth you blow the shot because you misjudge the yardage by a couple off feet. Its my humble opinion that the pendulum sight is the most important pieces of equipment a new archer could have ...at any rate good luck.

DD

Old 08-22-2005, 02:27 PM

I agree with Dr Death. The most important thing you could do is practice. All the Calls and Lures and Rangefinder are great, but unless you can stick that arrow where it belongs at judgement time, then if its a little or a lot, the money will be blown. I would also say go with the pendilum sight, i started with that and gradually worked my way up. is your bow equipped with the peep sight and Kisser button, they also can help
Old 08-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey Ron,
Hello all, I am new to archery hunting and only have the basic equipment. I have a bow equipped, tree stand and goretex camoflage clothing and pack. What other kind of equipment do I need to have a chance at any success? Please keep in mind I don't want to spend a fortune. Please help out.
1.Something else I would get that cost 1.19 at Walmart. I would get one of those rubberized screw hooks to place in the tree when you climb as high as you are going.I would hang my bow on it. I actually carry 2 .The other one for my back pack.

2. A few items to keep you from getting bewildered. Either illuminated tacks that glow in the darkor some red flag tape. { I like the tacks better} These things help you find your way in the dark and a compass. { the tacks are small and won't let other hunters know where you are hunting. cost around 3.00 for 50

3. Deer calls. They Work. A grunt , and a Primos 'Original Can'
Brother Chuck
Old 08-22-2005, 03:02 PM

What's up ron. The best advice I can give you is be prepared to make mistakes.I have learned more from my mistakes bowhunting than I ever did in any magazine or video.Also remeber to have fun and don't get down on yourself when you do miss a deer and trust me you will. You might as well sell your shotgun or rifle because it will never be the same as bowhunting.