Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

STALKAGE

Old 08-19-2005, 01:07 PM

Default STALKAGE

What are some skills you need to know to stalk deer? What equipment should you use?
Old 08-19-2005, 02:17 PM

Default RE: STALKAGE

Just patience and the ability to pay attention to details I guess, but it's never worked for me.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Wear clothing that are not scratchy against branches, knowing how to step and move
in the woods without making noise, knowing how to judge the wind direction,
being scent free, have a good sense of direction,learn how to judge yardage, learn how
to track a doe or a buckand you have to learn plenty of patiance. No Smoking!
It takes a few years of stalking to be real good at it. Never give up, you just keep doing
it till you master it. Also learn howthe birds and other animals react to the presense
of deer. They can giveyou many signs.
Bow's I have never used one, so I can't help you on this one, but I like a rifle witha short barrel. My shots have always been under 100yds. Remember, every state is different!
I personally like to stalk in the states that have snow on the ground. It's quiet on
stepping, but less cover also. It's just something I wanted to master. Now I am much
older and a hasbeen, so Iambush them at the intersection.
Oh, I almost forgot, stalk for awhile then stop a listen for awhile then keep doing this
till you spot one. Only preditors keep moving without stopping. Humans are considered
preditors. All preditors have both eyes set next to each other in front of the face.
Guys, nowadays with all the itchy fingerdhunter's in the woods, it's more dangerous
to stalk game than it was 30yrs ago! I suggest for those who like to stalk, do it in a
private club or on private property!
There's nothing more satisfying than to take a deer at his own game.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Something else you might consider and this might seem strange but using a good pair of compact binos really helps. Just move slowly, stopping every step or two and glass the area ( I'm talking about stalking in wooded to thickley wooded areas now) in front of you in a grid type pattern. You might be surprised at the deer (or piece of deer rather) you spot before you see the tails wavin'
Old 08-19-2005, 04:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Working legs,LOL something I dont have. Hey But I found out you can pull right up to a deer on a tractor( NOT HUNTING )
Old 08-19-2005, 04:57 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: cardeer

Working legs,LOL something I dont have. Hey But I found out you can pull right up to a deer on a tractor( NOT HUNTING )
Cardeer, I havenoticed that when having a work dayat the hunting club.
I quess they relate the tractor with fresh eats.