Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

first deer

Old 08-19-2005, 02:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default first deer

im new to deer hunting and i am going to buy my first deer rifle very soon. i know that hunting is not about the trophy but the experience, and that is what i am looking forward to most is the time in hunting camp, but i was wondering...is there such thing as too small of a first buck?? what were the sizes of your guys' first deer? let me know, and if you care to share the complete story, my email is [email protected]. look forward to hearin responses. thanks
Old 08-19-2005, 03:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: first deer

This is my first deer , I was part of the Honor Guard at the White House. I only lived 90 miles from my home in N.E. Maryland. I scouted ,built a stand and shot this boy running full throttle at about 50 yds.

Old 08-19-2005, 06:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

If a deer is legal, and you are comfortable about shooting it, then go ahead. Unless you are involved with a deer management program on a long term tract of land there is nothing wrong with harvesting a smaller buck or a legal doe. I have shot plenty of deer and now have several tracts of land we try to manage for a trophy size deer, but I have a few tracts that I and my grandsons shoot anything we want to.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is my first buck...he scored a whopping 32 7/8[8D] So don't worry there is nothing wrong with your first buck being small. That just gives you a starting pointto build on....if you start w/ a World Record, then you are gonna have a hard time improving as you go on. And your first deer doesn't have to be a buck either. I took 3 does before I got this guy. I got him in my 5th year of hunting.

Old 08-19-2005, 07:07 AM

Please don't get sucked into the macho, only trophies matter mentality, as defined by a group that would like to turn hunting into a full time tournament of testosterone and a competition. Hunting is a lifestyle, not a pursuit of the fulfilment of ego. My first buck was a small 7 point and I have taken bigger and smaller deer over the years. I enjoy the whole tradition and the hunt itself, and won't be dictated to by those that have lost their perspective. Enjoy yourself and hunt legal and remember , it's not about how big or how many, but how you hunt them!
Old 08-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

My first buck was a 9pt, but he was pretty scrawny. My first deer period was a doe. I would much rather shoot a doe than another scrawny buck.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:49 PM

My first deer was a spike buck. he weighed roughly 98 lbs with about six in horns. There is nothing wrong with shooting a small deer hell they taste better as far as i'm concerned. now once you get comfortable hunting and want somthing to put on a wall, then worry about it
Old 08-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first was a 130#, 7 point.
On public land it's tough to get shots at the big ones.
After the first few weeks, they disappear.
Even if there are some left, they aren't running the same patterns you see when scouting because of all the hunter traffic in the woods.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Bulzeye
I hear that. I went to what I thought was a remote area and still had quite a few mornings messed up from hunters walking by.
Chuck
Old 08-20-2005, 12:54 AM

This is very interesting. I was wondering the same thing. I hav yet to kill my 1st whitetail and this will be my 3rd year of hunting seriously. If a mature doe comes out, I will definitely shoot it as we do eat the meat. If a small buck comes along offering my 1st shot, then I might hesitate in taking it. All I know is that there is mature buck on our land up there and I'm looking forward to an encounter!

Quick Reply: first deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.