Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

dogs and deer help

Old 08-19-2005, 06:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: dogs and deer help

A considerable financial investment was made for a tract of land to hunt deer on, and more time and investment will be required in the future. It wasn't bought to run Lassie around on it. If he wants to play with his dog, tell him to carry it to the park. Big bucks don't want to be messed with and if the dog runs them up a few times they will go that couple of hundred yards and seek safer, quieter shelter.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:29 AM

I don't really like dogs but it is his property too right? Just ask him to keep the dog away from your area. That gives him aproximately 87 acres left to enjoy working fido. Who knows, the mutt may actually scare a deer in your direction one day then he can say "I told you so." If you have good habitat the game should stick around. What's more important, your friendship or the deer? You can always hunt when he's not there.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:31 PM

Everytime he takes the dog out, you go too and stop and piss by his stands. When he asks what you are doing, just say the same thing you are doing with your dogs by my stands. Maybe he will get the message. I better not post what Ido to dogs on my property.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:43 PM

I have a Rottweiler and Black Lab that I take with me into the woods when I am scouting or putting out corn or something like that. I have never seen them have any effect on the deer that come on.

If this guy's dog is jumping and running deer, thats something else. How often does this happen? JMO- I think if the dog doesn't jump and run deer that often on this land, then it wouldn't effect them. You have to remember that a deer is quite low on the food chain in nature, so they are use to fright and flight.

Here in SC, I grew up running dogs. I have seen mature bucks bed 20yds from a pack of dogs, letting the dogs continue on another trail. From viewing trail cam photos and personal exp. I don't see where dogs bother the deer IF it isn't ran too often.