Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It? >

Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It?

Old 08-17-2005, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It?

Do you know how you would measure the amount of water to add to theamount of peroxide for the right 3% combo for your brew? Sound like we're makin' moonshine here.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:17 AM

Not to be too mathimatical, but I'll give you the formula because I am not sure what concentration of the pool peroxide is. If it is not 30%, you can subsitute the percentage in. Here goes:

Use the formula C1*V1= C2*V2 where C = concentration and V = volume.

So if you need one quart (32 ounces) of the store bought (3%) peroxide to make up a gallon and assuming that the pool concentrated peroxide is 30%, you would use the following:

.3(= to concentrate pool peroxide percentage of 30%) * V1 (the unknown amount)= .03 (desired concetration perocide percentage--3%) * 32 ou. (1 quart what you would use of the store bought normal peroxide)
or
.3*V1= .03 * 32 ou

reduce to
V1 = .03 *32 ou / .3

do the math and you'll get:

V1 = 3.2 ounces of concetrated 30% pool peroxide in one gallon of homebrew scent killer. Of course this is assuming that the pool peroxide is really 30 %.

Now aren't you gladthat you asked?

Old 08-18-2005, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

There was alot of discussion late last yr in Bowhunting forum about home brew scent killer.

You can do a Search by typing in scent killer baking soda. No author.Bowhunting forum. top 100 replies. there are some good replies along with recipes for the brew.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:15 AM

For $25 I will just buy what I know works lol. I would kick myself in the nuts if I had a good bucks wind me because I tried to play mad scientist and make my own cover scent LOL.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

All the ingredients in the brew are designed to do nothing but destroy odor. There is no way a deer is going to be alarmed by the spray. If they bust you after you've sprayed-down, it's because you didn't put enough on or use it properly or something, not because the spray itself has an odor.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

Alot of people think i am crazy when i do this but it works. Its not a scent killer just an attractant. Once me or my dad kill a deer instead of ripping all the guts and stuff out I normally collect what every urine i can from the bladder by wearing gloves and tieing off the tubes then we use to farm so i have a lot of milk test tubes that i just fill up.(I would cut the wholebladder out so i wont spill on meat) The best stuff is the real stuff and i know that this is 100% real
Old 08-19-2005, 06:22 PM

I don't know if what I use is an attractor or a scent killer, but I know when I spray it on me, I have deer all over around me winding for the source.

I make Cammomile tea from dry cammomile flowers and also mint leaves and mix it in a spray bottle and just spray it all over my clothes.

My grandfather use this for over 60 years.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:58 PM

ORIGINAL: STUMPYBARNES

I to have boiled pine needles and the such, filtered the water and used it as cover scent. I think they are all highly effective and MUCH cheaper then buying the commercial stuff.
Indeed, it works like a charm. I boil up plain old spruce branches and then, exactly like you do, filter it and put it in a spray bottle. Why not smell like the bush you are sitting in?
Old 08-19-2005, 07:09 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Alex The Hawk

I don't know if what I use is an attractor or a scent killer, but I know when I spray it on me, I have deer all over around me winding for the source.

I make Cammomile tea from dry cammomile flowers and also mint leaves and mix it in a spray bottle and just spray it all over my clothes.

My grandfather use this for over 60 years.
Alex, my family and I have been drinking Cammonmile Tea for over 50yrs.
We buy the imported one from Spain.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Bicarbonate of Soda has been used for a huntingcover scent since the 1920's.

Quick Reply: Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.