Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It? >

Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It?

Old 08-16-2005, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It?

You guys are talking about putting less baking soda in, but isn't that the main scent-neutralizing ingredient? Can the residue be just brushed-off by hand?
Old 08-16-2005, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never had any problem removing it from clothing. Once in a great while when I wash my clothes in it,some soda might get clumped up in clothing. Just brush it off when dry.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

Now I've been pointed to an article that claims the hydrogen peroxide sold in grocery stores in brown bottles is no good for this "home-brew" because it contains preservatives to keep the peroxide from deteriorating into water, which in turn contain an odor.SO, I now have to begin the search for pure hydrogen peroxide for my mixture. The guy who wrote the articlerecommended pool chemical peroxide. I know they have pool chemicals, but I'm really wondering if Wally World is going to carry that. Guess we'll see.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

The stuff in the brown bottle works just fine. With all the stuff mixed together and left to sit a day or 2, the smell is no problem. In fact, if you get the peroxide that is the pure stuff you have to dilute it. If you don't dilute it enough, it can burn your skin. Plus I think the only way you can buy it is in bulk form. The brown bottle at Walmart is super cheap. I think I made over a gallon for around $3? Maybe less. I still got alot of it left. I believe i used just over 2 quarts last year. Also, don't put it in a clear bottle. From what I've read the light can break it down and make less effective. Don't know if that's true. I keep my extra in a 1.5 gallon white plastic bucket with the lid on itunder neath my sink in the bathroom. And next to that is where I keep the full pump bottles of it. Be sure when you mix it all together and let it sit for a day or so that you don't seal up the lid. Keep it cracked. If you don't the mixture of the baking soda and the peroxide causes pressure to build and can blow the lid off and make a mess. After A day or so of sitting, it is safe to pour it in your pump bottles and not have to worry about them blowing up. BTW, it does work!!!!
Scott Woody
Old 08-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Forgot to say this. If you have well water you can use that instead of distilled water. If you have city or county water, do mot use it. This water has alot of chemcials in it like chlorine and that stuff is strong.
Scott Woody
Old 08-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmm i might make some closer to when i go hunting.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:36 PM
Typical Buck

I've made some cover scent before by boiling some acorns, oak leaves, dirt, twigs, etc and bottled it in a spray bottle. Worked pretty good except that the spray nozzle at the bottom of the bottle would get clogged (which filtering the mixture would cure the prob) and when I sprayed my clothes it would put some brown spots on them (that washed out) b/c the mixture was a dark dark brown color after boiling.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:28 AM

I to have boiled pine needles and the such, filtered the water and used it as cover scent. I think they are all highly effective and MUCH cheaper then buying the commercial stuff.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

I can attest that this stuff works. Be careful with the pool peroxide though. I hear it'll take your skin off. The brown bottle stuff is only around 3% and is safe to put on your skin.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:09 PM

The pool peroxide is 30% if I recall correctly and will need to be diluted to 3%. Places like Walmart or your local drug store does not carry it. You will need to find a pool distributer to buy it, if you want to go that route.

I have used a similar home-brewed reciepe for 3 years. I HAVE NOTICE THAT DEER SOMETIMES STOP WHEREI WALKED THROUGH AND SMELLED MYTRACKS while using it. Not always, but I have seen this enough to make me think twice about using the 3% peroxide bought at the drug store. So I think they can smell some of the chemicals in this. The deer that do stopped, has not reacted negatively, just noticed the smell. In a minute or two, they just carried on with their routine.

Last year I started a new strategy where I use the home-brew sollution on everything except my shoes/boots. There I used the commercial scent killer products. No problems with that combo.

Quick Reply: Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.