Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It? >

Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It?

Old 08-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It?

I just found the recipe for homemade scent-killing spray and plan to mix up some batches of this come October. Anybody already used this recipe and believe that it works as good or better than anything else out there?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It?

I am this year for the first time. In fact I just picked up the stuff from Wally World yesterday. HS Green soap, baking soda, peroxide and distilled water. I hear guys swear by it.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:34 PM

I've used it for the past couple of seasons. Without beinfg able to ask the deer and elk themselves it appears to work the same as store bought stuff for a lot less money.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

HS Green soap, baking soda, peroxide and distilled water.
How much of each item do you use ?

Whats the mixture ?

Thank You
Old 08-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

1 gallon distilled water
1 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon scent-free soap
1 quart peroxide

mix it up thoroughly until baking soda is completely dissolved and let it set uncovered for 3 or 4 days or until the peroxide stops bubbling, mix it again a little bit and your ready to go

that's straight from the recipe I just found today, I figured I'd find morebelieversin this
Old 08-16-2005, 11:03 AM

I made the stuff last year. I mixed in a little HS Scent Earth Cover Spray to give it an earthy tone. It seemed to work just fine, but the batch I made turned my geen hat almost compltely white. I may have had to much soda in it, but it really left white streaks all over it. Anyone else had this problem? It cost about $4 to make a 1.5 gallon batch compared to $25 or more to buy it.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

do you wash your clothes in it or drink it?[:-]
Old 08-16-2005, 11:16 AM

No I cant say I drank it, but it wouldn't hurt ya! The spray when it dried just left a heavy residue all over my clothes.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:46 AM

I second the fact that it left a residue, although not a heavy residue. It was a little annoying, but a helluva lot cheaper. I think I will use a little less baking soda next time. I saw some leftover in the bottom of the jug that did not dissolve. It seemed to work just fine last year. I did get busted by a few deer, but the east wind was blowing hard in their direction, and they were about 75 yards from me.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wash all my huntin clothes in Baking Soda. The cheapest scent killer ever made.

Last yr I made 2 batches of the home brew spray scent killer. There were 4-5 recipes here on site to make the stuff. It will leave a white "soda" residue on anything its sprayed or spilled on. I had a spray bottle bubble up all over my truck floor - a mess but its just baking soda.

Quick Reply: Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.