Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

snort and weeze

Old 08-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: snort and weeze

thanks for that ...idk how mike did it but it worked
Old 08-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Every time that I've heard those sounds, it was closely followed by a white flag waving goodbye!
Old 08-17-2005, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

I have seen Michael Waddel on Realtree Roadtrips use it more than anyone else and for good reason I suppose, it seems to work. The only times I would really use it is maybe every once in awhile before a rattling sequence or when you see a GOOD buck out of range. Like these guys said, if he's too small or it's a doe, they're liable to run off. I can now do it exactly as Waddel does in Season 3 on his Illinois hunt. Put your front teeth together, cup one of your hands around your mouth like you're going to yell at someone very far away and forcefully exhale air. I give 2 "shorts" or bursts and then immediately follow with a long, drawn-out one almost as long as I can hold it without drowning out.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:10 PM

M.A.D. calls makes an adjustable grunt call that comes with a snort/wheeze tube attached. I break them off because they are cumbersome and I never could make it sound right. Wish I would have had it last year though, when a big buck was snort/wheezing at me from less than 20 feet away and I couldn't see enough of him to shoot.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've only used the snort wheeze, not to be confused with the regular snort, when I have seen mature bucks that were going the wrong way (away from me) and have had some success. I usually throw in a couple of grunts as well. I make it by going
FFFFFFFFT!!! FFFFFFFFFT!! FFFFFFFFFFFFF!!! One deer came back around after I shot over his back, he circled clear around (i was 25 ft+ up in a tree) and I got him with the second shot and originally he was spooked by the first shot and trotting off until a called. The second came running by me following some running does. As soon as he got far enough away that he couldn't just turn and look at me, I called out. He turned and started to come in but then looked back and saw those does getting farther and farter away. I called to him several times and each time he would stop and act like he was coming back but then couldn't resist the allure of the escaping females.I make this sound as loud as possible (which is still not that loud because of how I make it), so give em hell, it's kind of a last resort anyway
Old 08-17-2005, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

i get the nostrel part but not the bucking withthe teeth spikehorbn