Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is QDM to you?

Old 08-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default What is QDM to you?

I noticed that a lot of people like to claim they practice "QDM", yet they all seem to have a different take on what QDM is. Some people think it's growing bigger and more bucks on their property. Others say it's a buck to doe ratio (but never say what a good ratio is). From what I gather based on studying different DER and game commision sites is that QDM is what is best for the deer in terms of an "Ideal" environment. Which a lot of time entails a small DPSM ratio, like 5 DPSM (just an example, don't get on me for just throwing a number out there). Not nessecarily what hunters want becauseyou may go a couple days with out seeing a deer, if you are in the wrong spot. So I pose this questionto everyone out there that says the practice QDM. What is QDM to you?
Old 08-09-2005, 06:33 PM

Default RE: What is QDM to you?

Just as you said, what's good for the herd, not necesarrily what the "trophy police' want to dictate. It's way long overdue to bring into check the spiralling out of control concept of what many are 'preaching 'these days. IE, only a certain 'score' is acceptible. I'm superior if I hunt with a bow. No, it must be a recurve! No, muzzle loading is the real way to go! Rifle hunters are not really hunters, and if you shoot a 6 point, you've violated the trophy rule of law! And anyone with the gall to actually shoot a 2 1/2 year old 8 point should be ridiculed and tarred and feathered! Why he had potential! Maybe he already was what would fulfil that hunter! No one seems to be able to settle on what is acceptible, so here's a suggestion. Allow each to be happy with their standards as long as it's legal and ethical! Management for the good of the herd is one thing. Artificially manipulating and farming to control an attempt to produce and 'grow your own trophy' is another! I'm jsust weird enough and stubborn enough to, when I do go out this season, it will be to enjoy myself and to hunt hard and 'old school'. I will scout, learn the terrain, work the wind in my favor,look for srapes and rubs--in the woods, not at the edge of a food plot--do all I can to be stealthful in my coming and goings from the woods, and go to him rather than make him come to me.I will keep it 'tween the lines concerning the rules and laws, and I will not put down another man's choice of a buck he was happy to take.Regardlees of size. It's not how you score 'em ,but how you hunt them!
Old 08-10-2005, 04:02 AM
Dominant Buck

QDM to me is ignoring what the QDM adherants say and letting the folks I pay with my taxes manage the game , the concept of QDM usually works at cross purpose to what the DNR is trying to do anyway . My state is overrun with deer in many areas because of ignorant but well meaning people trying to "grow" or manipulate the local herd making the DNR's job that much harder . If you really want a booner buck then hunt harder and smarter and go more than 50 yards from your truck .
Old 08-10-2005, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

QDM to me means praying for the animals sacrifice and getting the meat into the coolers.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:48 AM

This is my take on QDM. i think QDM is a good thing to practice in a herd. not meaning that everyon has to practice it. i try to take 2 does to every buck i kill. the bucks i kill are good 3 yrs and over, unless there is a smaller younger 6 pt roaming. he would be taken as a management buck and any other deer that is hurt. now some people may think that a 6 pt is a trophy, and that is fine with me, because my first year that is what i shot. and i am proud of it. but everyone on this site has their own idea of a trophy. i believe that a doe is a trophy, any deer is a quality trophy in some way or form. yeah sure it might not be 190 inches and have all these kickers and points. hunting is something different to everyone, and you and i might have the same way of thinking about it and we may not, but that doesn't mean we can't be friends.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

So I pose this question to everyone out there that says the practice QDM. What is QDM to you?
To me its following the hunting regluations,
They are set up to keep the animal population in check.
And shooting does as well as bucks to keep the buck - doe ratio in check.
And to educate other hunters to be ethical and safe,
As they hunt and about fair chase.
So that there will be hunting in the futher.

The bottom line what is best for the animals,
and the hunters.
I know theres a lot more to it than this.
But the main thing is to keep,
Hunting for our youth and there youth going.