Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

WalMart Deer Scents

Old 08-04-2005, 07:31 AM

Default RE: WalMart Deer Scents

That is why I just where a cover scent to the woods
Old 08-04-2005, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the stuff put on shelves at this time of year would go bad. I was never really into the bottled stuff. I like to use stuff from freshly harvested deer. The last two years I've been buying some down in S. IL that's from a guy's farm also in S. IL. He keeps the scent in little freezers in various stores and recommends to keep it frozen or refrigerated till use. I have seen bucks run right into this scent. Like $10/bottle. I already know I'll buy another bottle this shotgun season. I'll try to dig up the name and post it.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I talked to a manager on a farm that the Code Blue product comes from and he said they could collect from the same doe several times a year using hormones. Not sure about the daylight aspect of it.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:00 PM

Most scents have an added ingredient to increase shelf life to about 18 months.Walmart does not put scents back up from last year.They are way to large a retailer for that.They will keep marking it down on clearence till its gone.I have bought tinks 69 for .50cents a bottle at seasons end and used it the following year.

Now if it works or not,well thats hard to say.Some bucks showed up right after hanging it out,other times,nothing.I personnally have the best luck with using my own urine.The human urine debate has been around for awhile and I am a believer in it.

90% of my trail cam pics are over mock scrapes which I put nothing in but my own urine.Works for me..
Old 08-04-2005, 11:29 PM

They put the stuff out early like that so hunters can have enough time to buy it because not every state's deer season opens at the same time.

As for standing estrous, it will work. Its the only one I have ever had that actually worked besides the other code blue urines and bowhunters setup brand. I bought some last year and used it 5 times, 3 out of those 5 times I had deer come to it. All at different times of the year. It doesnt matter what time they start selling it because it will stay "fresh" as long as you dont keep the bottle open all the time.I used 3 month old dominant buck urine and doe estrous (bow hunters setup dominant buck/code blue doe estrous) to great success last year. So IMO, urines will work if you use them right.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:05 AM

I have always had good luck with the tinks, and the little doe in estrous can. even call up coyote and bobcat at times. shot my first buck using tinks. I never use to use any scents, but I have seen and killed more bucks with it. That little can caller works great too.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heck the Tinks smoke sticks even worked for me.I think they have the smell down,at least it fools them some of the time.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:51 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

I think the stuff put on shelves at this time of year would go bad. I was never really into the bottled stuff. I like to use stuff from freshly harvested deer. The last two years I've been buying some down in S. IL that's from a guy's farm also in S. IL. He keeps the scent in little freezers in various stores and recommends to keep it frozen or refrigerated till use. I have seen bucks run right into this scent. Like $10/bottle. I already know I'll buy another bottle this shotgun season. I'll try to dig up the name and post it.
Hooley Juice. Bought a bottle last season at our local outfitter.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:53 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: pocomoke

Most scents have an added ingredient to increase shelf life to about 18 months.Walmart does not put scents back up from last year.They are way to large a retailer for that.They will keep marking it down on clearence till its gone.I have bought tinks 69 for .50cents a bottle at seasons end and used it the following year.

Now if it works or not,well thats hard to say.Some bucks showed up right after hanging it out,other times,nothing.I personnally have the best luck with using my own urine.The human urine debate has been around for awhile and I am a believer in it.

90% of my trail cam pics are over mock scrapes which I put nothing in but my own urine.Works for me..
Wait a minute, you make a mock scrape.....and then proceed to piss in it yourself? What's more, you're telling me that it has worked on multiple occassions? I'm seriously fascinated, not trying to be a smartass.......
Old 08-06-2005, 12:55 AM
Fork Horn

I thought that one shouldn't expect to actually attract bucks in with urine, but only to hold them for a few seconds to make a shot?

Quick Reply: WalMart Deer Scents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.