Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Tree Stands

Old 08-03-2005, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Default Deer Tree Stands

I have been looking for a tree stand.

But have no earthly idea wich one is good for me.

So my question is. ( Drum Roll )

What type and brand of tree stand and how much it weighs that Yall Use ?

And what is its good points and its bad points ?

And if you had to buy one what would you get ?

Thank You

Old 08-03-2005, 07:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Deer Tree Stands

Old 08-03-2005, 08:09 AM

What I base my Tree stand purchase on is if the price is right. I dont have my own land to hunt so I wanted a climbing stand. I dont trust people enough to leavea hanging stand out. Maybe im just paranoid, but I also like to hunt a bunch of different areas. Weight.........Is it really going to make that big of difference?? As long as you dont get one made of lead you should be alright, but aluminum is what I got. The only thing I recomend is a comfortable seat, mine sucks, so I am dropping 35$$ on an upgrade.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:48 AM

Summit Bushmaster. I like it because it is relatively light at 20 pounds, has an open front, is very durable and well made, quiet and comfortable. Regardless of the manufacturer, I would say that a treestand is not something you should skimp on. Buy a quality product, you will not regret it when you are 25' in the air. Also, buy and use a quality safety harness, like the Hunter Safety System Pro,every minute you are climbing or up in a treestand. It could save your life.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:54 PM

I have theSummit Bushmaster too. It is very comfortable, light and easy to use.

For latch ons- I would suggest something that is big enough so that you are comfortable to sit more than a few hours. I sit all day sometimes and if you are not comfortable it is ridiculous trying to sit that long.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also have a Summit Bushmaster (I think it's the Bushmaster). I really like it - easy to set up, climbs like a squirrel. Great for bowhunting (no front rail). It weighs less than 20# - comfy

For rifle hunting, I like a front rail, so I use my Loggy Bayou Quick Draw. It has a really comfortable seat, and is railed in. It's a little bigger, but heavier and more cumbersome to set up.

For serious waybacking, I use a Loggy Bayou climber - it does not have a climbing aid, and requires you to "hug" the tree, and pull yourself up. I'm part monkey, so it's no problem, but I wouldn't advise it if you're not in really good shape. It only weighs about 10#, and is really small. I used this stand exclusively for about 8 seasons, and then bought the two new ones.

My vote for my all-around favorite is the Summit. No pieces to lose, it bites into the bark well, without cutting up the trees, and you can be on your way up the pole in under 5 minutes in pitch black with no flashlight. If you're a really big guy, however, those skinny cables might be a little scary. I only weigh 165, so it's not a factor.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not sure what kind of stand you are looking for. Climber, ladder stand or a hang on? If it is aclimber I like my Summit Viper.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I am a big guy so I bought the Summit Bullet Backpacker. After 5 trips of packing and assembling..I love it. 23 pounds. You can sit all day in it. It is presently on sale at Cabelas for about 245.00
Chuck
Old 08-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Not sure what kind of stand you are looking for. Climber, ladder stand or a hang on? If it is aclimber I like my Summit Viper.
i would definately have to second that recommendation for a summit viper. i have the x4 and i love it. it's like 21#'s and it's easy to set up and climbs very well.