Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

6mm Remington

Old 07-27-2005, 05:13 PM

Default 6mm Remington

I need some education!! I just picked up a 1990 Remington Model 7 in 6mm. I was really looking for something in .260 or 7mm-08, but as rare as it is to find the older Model 7s w/ 18.5" barrels and walnut stocks, I had to buy this gun. It is in 99% condition and I do not believe it has been shot very much. I have done some research and have read pretty much what there is on history and comparisons (primarily to the .243). What I need is some practical knowledge from anyone who has hunted deer with this caliber. I have hunted with primarily .260, 7mm-08, .270 and .30-06. How does this perform in actual use and please tell me any of your wisdom and experience with this caliber and recommended loads. As with any gun, if you use it within its capability, with a bullet matched to your game and above all else, proper and ethical shot placement, the gun and ammunition will perform well. I am looking for any practical experience and information that would be helpful to me since I have never owned or hunted with 6mm or .243.By the way, the region I huntis East Texas, and the Edwards Plateau area in south central Texas( Rock Springs, Junction, Kerrville area). Thanks for your time and attention to my request. Shoot straight and be safe and take your kids hunting with you!!!!!
Old 07-27-2005, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 6mm Remington

Hey, i just happen to have and use the exact same gun a remington model 7 youth 1990 in 6mm rem and ill tell you what its a awesome gun. It's a real tackdriver. My gun seems to LOVE remington 105gr extended range shells it groups em .5 inch at 100yds and those shells are great on game preformers. i shot a boar with one about 2 months ago broke straight threw both shoulders and exited the pig. he never even flinched i was amazed with the preformance. The 6mm is a Great cartridge for deer sized game. It's my understanding that the 6mm is the flatest nonbelted magnum caliber also. and trust me it's one little flat shooting rifle. I've never had any trouble with my model 7 6mm and mine also still looks like brand new. Man i still wish they made the 6mm in alot of rifles, i'd go buy me another one. good luck with your rifle as long as you do your part and put the shot where it counts im sure u will bring home the venison this fall. keep me posted and let me know how you like it!
Old 07-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too have that same gun (given to me as a christmas present in'84 or '85(my first rifle that was completely mine)) It's a great little gun. I've killed probably 40 deer +/- with it. I've always just shot ol 100gr core-lokts. The only thing is if you put 4 shells in the magazine and 1 in the barrel, you (at least I did anyway) have to make sure that they are all seated properly b/c it can jam a little and there is enough "play" in mine to where they wouldn't always seat themselves properly if you weren't paying attention. As long as you did pay attention though, it was fine. I now just use three in the mag, so I never have to worry about it anyway (usually only took one anyway). plus I don't need all the firepower now like I did when I was a kid. I wouldn't sell mine for anything..love it. been thru a lot together. If you don't mind me askin' how much did you pay for it. I remember they were 340.00 retail back in the day.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:15 PM

I have the same gun. i bought it in 1993 used. i had been looking for one and everyone wanted to much for them.I found one a gunshop in little rock that had dust on it .really!
The guy had $375 or so on it and i asked what he would take he said 300 cash and i took it.
it was in mint condition and still is. the best thing is it has the steel floorplate . they are sought after by collectors.
It has killed a few deer and my son killed killed his first few with it. good little guns just remember to let the BBL cool between shots when sighting in.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the info guys...Don't mind you asking about price at all. Except for the fact that the previous owner removed the factoy sight, this gun is 100%. There is not a nick, blemish or ding ont it (wood or metal). It has a Burris 1 pc. base and Burris rings on it. The rings are the type that have 2 screws on each side of the ring (4 screws per ring) and the front ring is the extended type ring where as you can turn the ring out to move the rings further apart or turn it in to close the spacing between rings. I believe the ringsand base probably run about 60.00 +/-.As well, this also has a steel floor plate (checked w/ a magnet, nice bonus). I paid 460.00 out the door. It also came with a set of 6 mm RCBS dyes (think that is speeled right)and 80 rounds of brand new Remmy 6 mm brass. All in all I got a steal on it!!!!!!!!! Gotta love when that happens.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:22 PM

Old 07-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

the 6mm rem. is a nice round. my neighbors dad has a remington chambered in 6mm and killed a nice buck with it last year on their trip to kentucky. the gun did not stop the deer in its tracks but with proper shot placement you caneasily drop the deer dead in its tracks
but basically it is the same cartirdge as the 243 win. but remington put their name on it and for some reason just never took off like the 243 did
Old 07-31-2005, 05:22 AM

In Deer & Deer Hunting's 2005 New Equipment issue, tehre's an article about "popguns" for big deer. Specifically, the .243 and how many big deer the author has taken with that and the 6mm Remington round. Bullet placement is the key.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:49 AM

I have a 6mm 7600 pump and killed about 15 deer with it- never lost one. Mine is a tack driver too andlike HillbillyHunter, Iused 100 grain Core-Lokts as well. I must tell you that I only dropped a couple of deer on the spot (both were shot in the neck), while the others were lung shots and the deer all ran 60-100 yards. In my opinion it's a good deer gun, but I just wanted something with a little more power which is why I switched to the 30-06 a few years ago.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

My first deer rifle was a Mauser 98 chambered in 6MM Rem. I wish I still had it! The 6MM is a good choice for whitetail sized game anywhere, using good hunting bullets of 100 gr., deer can't tell if they've been hit with a 6MM or a 30-06!

Quick Reply: 6mm Remington

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.