HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer Decoys ... Do They Work? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/106392-deer-decoys-do-they-work.html)

DoctorDeath 07-22-2005 03:36 PM

Deer Decoys ... Do They Work?

I am thinking of purchasing a deer decoy ... I hunt Alabama and Tennessee ..have any of you guys used them and what is your opinion as to how effective they are and what kind do you use?

Doc

longrifle1000 07-22-2005 08:23 PM

RE: Deer Decoys ... Do They Work?

I have had good results during the rut. I'll place it out, and pour a little doe-in-heat on it. Some bucks are really intersted in it. I just use my 3D archery target and take the antlers off so it looks like a doe. I'm not willing to spend another chunk of change just for a decoy, I just use what I have. Good luck

PYseeker 07-23-2005 12:51 AM

The short answer: yes they work

PYseeker 07-23-2005 12:55 AM

ORIGINAL: PYseeker

The short answer: yes they work
The big question is wether you should use a buck or doe decoy. I have found that in areas where the does far out number the bucks, that either one will work. But in one place I hunt were the numbers are closer to being equal, I have found that a buck decoy will bring in a buck better. I think it has to do with dominace, and the fact that the more bucks there are the more they have to fight for the right to breed. Hope this helps some, and good luck. I use a carry lite by the way, it works great, I replaced the eyes with glass eyes, and the thing looks awsome!!

cardeer 07-23-2005 02:34 AM

Like everything else .Sometimes

nodog 07-23-2005 06:37 AM

ORIGINAL: cardeer

Like everything else .Sometimes
Yep.

alwyshntn 07-23-2005 09:12 AM

I'm with Cardeer.. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but in that sense its somewhat like calling and using scent. So anything to add to your bag of tricks so as to harvest a nice buck is worth while. I mean you only need it to work once right?

Treestand_Dan 07-23-2005 12:05 PM

Look at it this way.....if you use your 3d target as a lure, and you don't see any deer, you can still take some practice shots to hone in your skills a little bit more.

ddejong 07-23-2005 12:22 PM

I haven't any experience using them to lure deer, but I knowhere in Kansas the game wardens use them and they sure work to catch poachers! A friend agreed last year to let them put a decoy near an intersection of two gravel roads and it was shot at 3 times in the one night the did it. Thank goodness they caught them!