Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Best way to finish off a deer w/knife?? >

Best way to finish off a deer w/knife??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best way to finish off a deer w/knife??

Old 07-20-2005, 02:59 PM

Default RE: Best way to finish off a deer w/knife??

The biggest mistake I've made was not making sure the deer was dead. We were in west texas hunting out of our trucks and I dropped a monster 12 point. I went over and held the rack and he didn't move a muscle. I heard my buddies shoot over the hill and I went to look to see what they got. Then we were up there talking and someone said, "hey blake, look down there!" and my damn 12 point stood up, and ran off like he just woke up out ofa dream. And there was not a drop of blood anywhere and I remember when I was holding the rack I couldn't see where in the hell I hit him.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:17 PM

i always hit the neck with my blade, even if its dead. I have seen 2 hunters walk up and shoulder smaller spikes to have them suddenly start to kick and swing there heads around. I always cut them now. plus it lets them bleed out a little sooner
Old 07-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

BOY AM I GOING TO HEAR CRAP.

Well 1st off the neck is the best place.I normaly knife at least 1 deer a year. They are normaly not shot but hit by cars.If you are not a cop or worden you can not shot a deer hit by a car.If the deer is not one you would like to mount than cut close to the neck 1/3 of the way up. If you hit neck boan you are to high no instand blood you are to low.After about 10 you will never miss.If you would like to mount the deer than you need an 6" knife or bigger.Go right behind the frount leg just like a bow shot.This is some times a lot harder than the neck. If you are cuting the neck you have some thing to get a hold of..I would say if I where you and did this all the time I would make a speer on a 3 to 4 foot shaft. With the speer I would allways go for the side.

The bigest thig with knifing a deer is DO NOT be skeered and try to stand way back and cut the deer.It is just like a horse. They will hurt you 3 times as bad if you are at the end of there power stroke.I can not tell you how many deer I have knifed. I can tell you I have only ben hurt one time. It was my falt I tride to stay way back and knife the deer. He kicked me in the thigh cut though 3 layers of close and brused the crap out of my leg.

Just to make some people happy I have allso knifed 2 elk in the past 6 years.A deer plays heck trying to lift you up an elk can though you yards with just the flip of his head.

Good luck on the deer tracking.You will be doing the tracking for the people that will not even try to knife the deer but do not want to break the law and shoot it.Best thing I can say ask them to let you do it alone people like this will get you hurt way befor the deer will get you
Old 07-20-2005, 05:18 PM

ELKINMTCWB, I like the way you think!

Old 07-20-2005, 08:56 PM

No offense but you must be reading the law wrong. I only finish off wounded game by hand if they're small. Pheasants and ducks are easy, just step on their heads. Anything larger than that is likely to defend it'self pretty bad. I've had a canadian goose leave bruises up my legs when I stepped on it's head. They are pretty big birds and there is a lot of power in those wings. Even a dying turkey can leave you bloody if their spurs get into action.
Now taking on a buck!!!! Have you seen what they can do to a tree! I've seen 5 inch saplings that were shredded by a rut crazed buck with a powerfull neck. Now try putting a knife into tall that mussle and expect him to just let you. I can see a doe giving up but a buck is already juiced up with rut hormones then after an arrow goes through it he's also got adrenalin pumping through his system.
If I was bow hunting and tracked down a buck that was still alive, I'd either wait it out or put another arrow through the lungs and wait some more. Patience!!!
During gun season I always carry a .357 in my bag as a "just in case" gun. If I have to make a quiet shot I have a little .22LR derringer that could come with me. I usually keep it at home to dispatch pests that get caught in my garden trap. Trust me when I say a .22LR with subsonic loads is quiet enough to be almost unhead in the woods past 100 yards. It's also still powerfull enough to be a one shot killer at 1 yard if you aim for the brain basket. The entry hole will be small enough where the taxidermist might not even notice it.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:02 PM

My dad keeps a .22 pistol in the truck and if its paralyzed but suffering well pop it in the back of the head. If its moving around alot a handgun to the lung heart area. But since you cant use a handgun, Id use a knife to the heart. IF its a nice buck I wouldnt wanna slit its neck and mess up the cape. Maybe where the neck meets the spine?
Old 07-21-2005, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

How about a captivated bolt "gun"? These have been used around here for population control, but not much anymore. It is a spring powered pistol that launches a 3/8" X 3+" long diameter "bolt" (actually a shaft) from a strong spring. In these pop control scenerios a large net was shot over deer in a baited area (usually at night). The netted deer are approached and the bolt gun put to the head and "bolted".

Don't know what they cost, or where to get them. But if you are going to have to put alot down................it might just be the ticket for you.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

If only a legal weapon during daylight hours is legal, it seems that a knife would not be legal. Get a small .22 and pop a short above the eye. Sticking a knife in a live deer can be very dangerous.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

A Muzzy through both lungs make your job a lot better BUT a knife in a live anamal is dangerous! Be careful!!

SF
Old 07-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

Boy I sure hope all the people do not stop doing things that are dangerous.There is a ton of jobs out there that are way way more dangerous than fininshing off a deer. If you are looking at this as a job than get the training and EX. Than you should not have any problems.Just as any job there is a risk of geting hurt.

If you wanted to be a cop or fire fighter there would be very few people tell you it is to dangerous

Quick Reply: Best way to finish off a deer w/knife??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.