Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Would you rather tag Opening Day or the last day? >

Would you rather tag Opening Day or the last day?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you rather tag Opening Day or the last day?

Old 07-21-2005, 05:31 PM

Default RE: Would you rather tag Opening Day or the last day?

I get alot of tags and have a season that runs from Sept.-Feb. so I have no problem killing a deer on opening day. But generally the only time I'm going to kill a deer on opening day is if he is a monster and/or a cull buck. Alot of the bucks I kill are taken during the last week of the season and or during the middle of the season. But honestly I'm out hunting, it really makes no difference to me what day it is when I kill the trophy buck.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:44 PM

Some day I'd like to hunt where there are 10 deer per square mile. I'm used to hunting where the average is more like 2 per sq. mile.

I can only shoot one deer each year, and my preference is to shoot one in the final minutes of the last season (muzzleloader). That way I get in lots of hunting time. It is about the hunt after all, not the kill. It would take one heck of a big buck for me to pull the trigger on opening day. Hunting season is too short as it is.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:03 PM

I would prefer to take one on opening day as the deer are not as spooked but have taken some on opening day during shotgun season. But now that I muzzleload hunt, I got plenty of time to get one so now I just wait for the big one cuz I know that I can fill on my other doe tags as there are a bunch at my spot and got all 4 before the season was even over.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:49 PM

I love being out there. Last day.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:32 PM

Last year I took a nice mature 8 pt Kansas buck 5 minutes into the season. I had several days lined up to hunt and my friends said I would regret having such a short season, but I never did. I accompanied my son during the does only season, but my short hunt was very satisfying.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:40 PM

Doesnt matter.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

I would go with opening day.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

last day. you have all the experiences from a season past, yet you still get to tag out...and breathe a sigh of relief at the same time
Old 07-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've taken buck on opening day, but the buck that I need to work for seem to bring a greater feeling of accomplishment. I know shooting one opening day probably means you did your homework, but hunting pressured buck and figuring them out can be frustrating but it is alot of fun for me.

So my answer is last day.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well if I was going to get one no matter what I would much rather take it in the last minutes of the season, because then i would have been able to spend that much more time in the woods while others had tagged out and were home doing chores.

Quick Reply: Would you rather tag Opening Day or the last day?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.