Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Popup blind hunting

Old 07-18-2005, 09:22 AM

Default Popup blind hunting

Does anybody hunt whitetails from apopup or groundblind? I have heard that turkeys wont pay attention to blinds, deer are afraid of them. Is this true, and could you share some tips with me on how to hunt from a ground blind?
Old 07-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Spike

Default RE: Popup blind hunting

I have tryed the popup and it does seem the deer are leary of it .But i'm not sure they are scared .I would put it out way before season so they can get use to it. I had a doe come right up to it within 15 yrds and was really interested in the popup.She just keep walking a bit, bobing her head and stomping her feet.I probably watched her for 20 to 30 minutes before she took off snorting like crazy. Ido feel like i had to sit close to the holes to be able hear exactly where the sounds were coming from. Plus you can't see a good distancearound youunless your on top of the holes.Use plenty of cover so it's not so notice able.When i put mine up i stepped back from it and it looked like a big blob in the woods .Like when huntingfrom a tree or any other situation concealment is a biggy.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I have several types and they haven't spooked any deer .
Old 07-18-2005, 06:45 PM

I have never used one myself I have friends that have and say that the deer knew it was there but didn't seem to conserned as long as he had netting over the dark window holes. I always hunt from the ground and just use natural foilage to make a blind and have had deer within feet of me and not know I was there, I also had a doe walk right up to me and sniff me so close I could almost feel here breathe she finally gave the foot stomp and snorted in my face which made me jump and she was gone like a bat out of hell.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:31 PM

i killed a 8pt last year in a ground blind that wasnt even painted. i had just finished unloading a hog trap and didnt wanna mess up the other guys in the areas hunts. i wasnt even gonna take a gun but figured WTF? 1 hour later wearing my work cloths no cover scent or camo, i bagged the bigest deer taken on my lease =)