Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When will a fawn leave a doe.

Old 09-23-2002, 02:43 PM

Default When will a fawn leave a doe.

For years I have watched does with their fawns. I was curious if any one knew exactly when a fawn has learned all it needs from a doe. I ask this because early in bow season I let all does with fawns walk and wait for a doe with out a fawn. I shoot one about 10 years ago during bow season and the fawn wouldnt leave her. I walked within 15yrds of the fawn and it ran about 20 yards away and watched me. I always wondered if the fawn was self sufficient or not. I have not shot a doe with a fawn since.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:10 PM

Default RE: When will a fawn leave a doe.

Actualy fawn doe's dont usualy leave but stay in family unit of doe's and take place in pecking order. If you watch group of doe's there usualy is a matriarch doe leading them.
Fawn bucks Ive seen dipersed usualy by time there horns harden as yearlings and I seen some button bucks stay with mothers through season.
OEH
Old 09-23-2002, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats intresting because most states its illegal to shoot a doe that has a fawn with it in which it has spots. I am fortunate and live in a national forest a see deer everyday. This evening I saw a doe with two fawns but one had all its spots and its twin has only three spots on the top of its rump. A lot of the fawns that I see have lost there spots but some others are an exception. When breeding takes place in Oct/Nov Mommas goin to be runnin them off. Later, Bobby
Old 09-24-2002, 07:09 AM

I guess i should clarify, not spoted fawns. Im talking about that summers fawns such as bucks not yet buttons. The only reason I knew the small doe was a fawn was because the big doe was still lactateing. I have yet to see a spotted fawn during season.

Ohioelkhntr
I have seen a groups of does and fawns, in this situation the two were alone. That is why I was wondering If there is enough innate survival skills for the fawn to get by with. Also I was wondering when they are fully winned.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

With the exception of very late births here in Texas, by November fawns can make it on their own. As said before, the does usually stay together for life, and the yearling bucks will be run off by the matriarch doe.