Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 I need info on the Hastings Slug Barrel >

I need info on the Hastings Slug Barrel

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I need info on the Hastings Slug Barrel

Old 07-15-2005, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need info on the Hastings Slug Barrel

DD,
Never had a hastings barrel. Been looking at them for years. After reading here I might be convinced on buying one.
Hunt in shotgun only state(sucks) The cantilever barrel is a sweet set up and IMO the best method to mount scope on a shotgun. You get that gun set up with a sabot the barrel likes and you can take a deer out to 125-150yrds. That's a hek of a shot with a shotgun - but can be done cleanly with a good scope/sabot set up.

Come back and let us know how it shoots.

Good Luck
Old 07-15-2005, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

AJ,

I bought the one with the one with the cantilever scope mount for my wife. I put it on my old Lt. weight 20 ga. 1100 Rem. I had a good laugh with that setup last year. I was braggin about how good that gun would shoot and that it would kill a deer at 150 yards etc. and my buddy started busting on me pretty hard so I bet him $20 that I could hit his hat 3 out of 3 shots at 150 yards. I hadn't shot it at a 150 yards and I wasn't going to let my wife shoot at anything that far but I just knew the gun would shoot it based on how well it shot for me, while playing, out to 100 yards. Well he took the bet and we set up and I took a couple of practice shots to make surewhere the gun was shooting at 150 yards but he backed out after he saw the two shot group that I shot while preparing Shooting those Rem. Core Lokt Ultra Bonded Sabot Slugs sighted in 1" high at 50 yards, I was only shooting about an1.5" - 2"low at 150 yards.That ain't bad with a slug gun[8D]
Old 07-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

Shooting those Rem. Core Lokt Ultra Bonded Sabot Slugs
Shhhhhh.....don't let anyone hear you talking about THOSE sabots....everyone knows they don't shoot......LOL

Old 07-15-2005, 11:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dr. Death, I believe that Rebel is talking about Remington's CopperSolid sabot slugs as first generation, not the Hastings barrels.

The first generation CopperSolids had a larger hollow point than what's on the market now. Old hollowpoint was something like .375" and current hollowpoint is something like.250". I'm talking about the 3-inchers . Hope it helps.

I tried some of them from my 12 ga. H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. Wasn't impressed.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Uncle Matt,

I have come thedecison that there is very little correlation between the performance of these higher end sabots from one brand of gun to the next. My gun loved the Copper Solids. Before the Core Lokts came out, they were my number one choice in sabot slugs!

Now with the Core Lokts, I get comparible accuracy and a far superior trajectory...