Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Head hunters or meat hunters?

Old 07-15-2005, 10:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Head hunters or meat hunters?

All of you trophy hunters consier this: At the end of the day the body on the ground is a deer , whether male or female .You had to earn it , what does it matter if if had bone on it's head ? When you stop to examine it ,the challenge is what you put on the wall , isn't it ? Speaking personally , I've been outsmarted by a dozen does to every buck that I've ever seen , so why should I chase something that is easier than what I truly seek ? What's harder to hunt , a herd of does or a single buck ? Personally , I'd rather hunt a herd of does for sport than a singlebuck in the vain hope that I might gain some inconsequential rackthat only shows that I've gained enough meat to get through the first month of Winter .
Old 07-15-2005, 11:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am a 100 percent meat hunter. That goes for all species of big game. I would rather take a picture of a tropy animal then see it go on its way to breed more of the same. I find the does and cows better eating and leave the tough old birds for the glory hunters.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:45 AM

I agree with Truk, first a doe so we know we eat and then lets for look for a buck..............
Old 07-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will go for the meat first but if it ends up with a good rack, then it’s a plus.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think MANY of you miss an important point! A "trophy hunter" is all for the tagging of DOES... it's a VERY, very important piece of the overall herd and habitat managment process! It is the senseless killing of immature bucks that there is NO point in! IF it is MEAT you are after than take a Doe so the herd won't grow! The population simply needs more mature deer in them to get back to the natural healthy status that they need. I believe a "trophy hunter" is one of the few folks that actually thinks more about the herd, it's animals, and the habitat condition instead of just himself. It's time to start giving something back instaed ofjust shooting anything that moves! Good luck to all of ya this fall.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:49 PM

meat hunter,i love deer meat ,started letting smaller bucks walk a couple of years back.we're allowed unlimited does now.to take a buck now he'll have to be bigger than any i have.

dan
Old 07-16-2005, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

Cornfed you say it like a pro. I agree with everything you said. I am on who likes to wait for a larger buck, but i will also plan to get a lot of does in a season. I dont like to hear it when people say i want meat not a rack. Usually the deer with bigger racks have more meat. But i could really care less what anyone shoots.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

meat first.i prefer does
Old 07-19-2005, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

they should change it to shoot a doe and let the little ones grow
Old 07-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know that I'm a hunter,maybe more ofa binocularizer?[&:] Most seasons, the deer I hunt are probably pretty safe.

Quick Reply: Head hunters or meat hunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.