Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 first deer, first anything actually >

first deer, first anything actually

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

first deer, first anything actually

Old 07-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: first deer, first anything actually

manuman,
Her season just ended. In fact her U13 club team represented WV in the Region 1 championships at Virginia Beach a few weeks ago. She leaves Sunday for UNC Women's soccer camp. Between soccer and hunting we can pretty much fill up our calander.
She's going to need some more strength to pull the bow. Hopefiull this offseason weight training will get her there. She'd still go hunting with me but she will disapointed if she can't shoot one herself
Old 07-28-2005, 06:48 AM

Whatpart of WV are you in? I lived in St. Albans for a couple of years after high school. I used to go to Hawk's Nest to hike, and to the Dolly River to trout fish. Tried fishing in the Coal River and Kanawha, but way too much polution.I actually saw a wolf in the mountains on a camping trip. Some of the locals said I was seeing things, but, it sure wasn't a dog or coyote!
Old 07-28-2005, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Manuman
I live in Huntington. My Daughter plays for a club in Charleston. Theyoccasionally practice near big bend golf course near St Albans
I'm pretty new to hunting so I havn't had that much experience in the woods. In my short time out there though I've seen some pretty cool things
Old 07-28-2005, 07:59 AM

Congrats to the both of you from a fellow west virginian. Good luck on finding a place to hunt. You may want to ask some farmers and land owners, between St. Albans and Huntington,about hunting on their land. Ya never know! Go down Rt. 52 (i think) towards Wayne County and ask around.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Huntinwv,
Thanks, i'll give that a try. Although with my NY accent I find I'm generally looked upon as an "out of towner". I guess I am since I haven't been in WV but for a few years. I'm not looking for a guaranteed hunt or anything. I just would like to find a place that where I could do my homework, decide on a location for a stand or blind and then give it a try. The public land I've been on has so many hunters that bringing my daughter has made me a little nervous.
Also, I had a neighbor say I could hunt his land last season. I did alot of scouting and decided on 2 spots for ground blinds. Left them out there for a few days so the deer could get used to them. The day I went out to hunt..they were stolen. I can still hunt there but it's real small and actually lots of people apparently have permission. One day I saw 7 hunters on the 60 acres.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Typical Buck

Great looking buck!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!! Good looking gun too! I have a Marlin 35...Love that gun...