Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 first deer, first anything actually >

first deer, first anything actually

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

first deer, first anything actually

Old 07-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: first deer, first anything actually

Killed all my deer except 2 with the same rifle. .30-.30 has probably killed more deer than any other over the years. Have bigger for bear/moose but my lever I love for the deer hunt.

Good job!
Old 07-11-2005, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Danny. Where in WV? I have a farm in Braxton county.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on the deer and double that for your daughters. I am most impressed that you would put your daughter on a deer before yourself. I have been deer hunting for 22 years and have killed a "mountain" of deer, but my biggest thrill ever while hunting has been watching my sons take their first deer (and second, and third, and fourth...). Another of my greatest moments hunting was watching my new bride take her first deer 16 years ago.
In my opinion, our greatest responsibility as hunters and fathers is to impart our love for hunting to our kids.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think my heart pounded for hours afterwards
That's what it's all about.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:46 AM
Dominant Buck

You're hooked! ain't it a great feeling?
Old 07-12-2005, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the best addiction of your life!!!
Congrats... Nice Buck....
Old 07-12-2005, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pro-line
I live in Barboursbille (outside of Huntington). I don't have any huntable property so I go to Beech Fork state park. In fact my daughter took her deer in the field by the rifle range there. We had noticed the deer liked to go to the fields near evening so we sat there while listening to the hunters sight in their guns. When the doe came out at about 160 yards my daughter saw it first and whispered "hey look at that dog coming through the bushes" a few minutes later she waited for it to turn broadside and took the shot. I had no idea if it was hit at first. Iasked herif she was on it when she pulled the trigger. She said she had the crosshairs right behind the shoulder like we practiced. The deer went back through the bushes and fell right on the dirt road leading to the range. I think I called everyone I knew by the time we got home. She practiced for months with her 22lr before that shot. I was incredibly proud of her.
She wants to go back there this year but i'm not sure we can. There appears to be some restrictive laws coming out for Beech Fork this year. We'll see
Old 07-12-2005, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just to clarify..She practiced with her 22lr but used the 30-30 to take the deer.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

Danny,
Congratulations. Good kill. Charley is right, you don't need the latest and "greatest" gadget to kill deer. I've killed quite a few deer with a 30-30 myself, both with a 2x7 leupold scope and with iron sights. Thats right folks, I've killed deer without a scope. You have begun a journey that will last a lifetime, enjoy it and congrats on your first blood.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

I could tell it was a Marlin 30-30, but wanted you to say
it for the guys who don't like the Turdy-Turdy for huntimg
deer.

[/align]
I couldn't tell for sure- kinda looks like my Marlin .35 Rem to me...

Quick Reply: first deer, first anything actually

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.