HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Any other ways I can improve my setup? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/104998-any-other-ways-i-can-improve-my-setup.html)

born2hunt 07-08-2005 03:23 PM

Any other ways I can improve my setup?

I was wondering if there were any other ways I could improve my treesatnd setup. Im about 15 feet up and about 20 yards off a logging road with biologic planted on it just to the left of my stand and there is a creek around 50 yards in front of me. do you know of any other ways I could improve my setup or attract more deer toward my stand.

johnch 07-08-2005 04:15 PM

RE: Any other ways I can improve my setup?

I would do some pruning now to open shooting lanes , not real wide .
Maybe 3-4'
Also if you have a trail that you want to move now is the time to block it so the deer have gotten used to it.

I try t not bother my stand areas after I have done my yearly work.
I tend to scout them with a spoting scope and short walks.

Johnch

Rebel Hog 07-08-2005 07:37 PM

born2, you're set-up does'nt attract deer. You scout areas that attract deer
and then you do your set-up. You just don't go finding a good tree for your
tree stand. Find areas that show good deer signs and then figure out where
you want to be in that area.
If your set-up is already in that location, then do like johnch is advising you.

PABowhntr 07-08-2005 08:08 PM

I would suggest having another stand site on the opposite side of the trail. The reason being that if the wind isn't favorable from one location then you could possibly reposition to the other side. Just a thought. I have two setups similar to this.

nodog 07-09-2005 02:02 AM

Thick cover.

Drop some trees. Poplars are good.

HUNTING4HORN 07-09-2005 09:08 AM

Hey born2hunt, is that Strut n Rut in Georgeotown, OH?

born2hunt 07-09-2005 09:11 AM

Not sure I thought that is was in Illinios myself.. They take some monster bucks and huge longbeards over there though they got pics on there site.

Where are you from hunting4horn?

muddafuka 07-09-2005 09:26 AM

Put out a mneral block and a pile of corn from time to time as long as that is legal. I would try to split the creek and logging road.

Hawgnman 07-09-2005 03:47 PM

Are you bow or rifle hunting? If bow, I'd move closer to the creek. Does the logging road cross the creek? If so there would be better. The suggestion of a stand on the other side of the road is a good one also.

born2hunt 07-09-2005 05:10 PM

I'm bow hunting ... I got my pics back but my scanner isn't seeming to want to scan them .. Ill try again later and put em on here if I can..

Thanks for the help..

Psychowolverine- I'm from ohio but even all the buckeye fans cant keep me from like the maize and navy blue.. GO BLUE - MICHIGAN #1