Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 STRANGEST THING YOU HAVE EVER SEEN IN THE WOODS >

STRANGEST THING YOU HAVE EVER SEEN IN THE WOODS

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

STRANGEST THING YOU HAVE EVER SEEN IN THE WOODS

Old 07-12-2005, 09:14 AM

Default RE: STRANGEST THING YOU HAVE EVER SEEN IN THE WOODS

one morning goin into my stand in ther dark (in a county park not many people get a permit and no one ever hunted where i was) in the cedars right off the trail there was about 10 different flash lights moving around. i got worried and didnt go to my stand becuase they were only about 50 yards from it i just sat on the trail alittle ways down. when it got light i didnt see anyone come out of the cedars enless they went over the mountain which is a hike and a half. i thought that was pretty wierd
Old 07-12-2005, 12:01 PM

I had rested my rifle against a tree about 4ft from me while I was
taking a crap, about 3-4 min. into my business, I looked up and
there was a massive 8pt looking at me. All I could do was sit there
with a crappy feeling. I have never taken a crap in the woods again.
I make sure I crap in camp before I leave.
I think the the aroma attracted him in. He must have thought.....what
in the hell could smell like that!

same thang happend to my uncle on his first week ever of deer hunting. but he had his shotgun with him and dropped one. if im thinkin right this is the one that went in the ohio big bucks club and hten like boone and crocket or some club like that
Old 07-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let's see.

When I was a kid we camped out around Fouke, Arkansas. For non-Arkansans that is the home of the "Fouke Monster", a supposed bigfoot type creature. On one of our trips our scoutmaster had arranged with some of the locals to scare us with growls from a PA system coming from the woods across the field from where we were camping. The landowner of the property came out and made this big production about the "monster" and started firing a revolver with blanks toward the woodline. About the time this was happening, my father, the local post commander for the State Police, shows up, on duty, in uniform, not knowing what is going on, just checking on us, and pulls his riot shotgun out of his cruiser. I thought the landowner and our scoutmaster were going to$hit all over themselves.

On a serious note, one timewhen I was a ground pounder, 1LT,I was tasked withrunning a night patrol with my detachment. It was a cold, wet, rainy night. There was only one soldier, my point man, in front of me, in the direction of movement. To my left I saw something moving the opposite direction. I thought it was my point man, but soon ascertained that my point man was still in front of me. The rest of my detachment was behind me. We didn't have any opposing forces for that exercise. The hair on the back of my neck was on end. I don't normally get that feeling in the woods. We did a quick head count and debriefed everyone. That wasn't one of my guys. To this day I don't know what that was.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

strangest thing?

ME.....City boy turned hunter
Old 07-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Back in the late 80's, in Missouri, we (my dad, my dad's friend and myself) were sitting on the deck of our cabin after checking our lines. It was after 10 pm and as we looked to the east we could see a string of lights stretching about 400 to 500 yards across the horizon. They looked stationary, but slowly moved towards us. The lights eventually passed overhead and out of sight as they went out of view behind the woods. We never heard a sound. Of course in the late 80's, without the knowledge of the B2 stealth bomber, we were thinking UFO. I can only assume it was a manouver from the folks at Whiteman AFB, where the B2 fleet is stationed. I'll never forget that.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Back in the day, I was doing some coon hunting with a buddy of mine. We thought we'd make a whole night of it, and we took the dogs andhiked back a mile or two into the mountains to an old homestead (foundation, graveyard, etc.)that sat in a hollow with a nice stream and a lot of little drainswhere we should pick up a few coons.

After a few hours, our batteries on the headlamps were getting low, and the dogshad a coontreed on the next ridge. We had to double-time it out there and get the dogs, shoot the coonand get home.

About halfway there, the dogs had stopped barking, and showed up at our side. They were acting really strange, wimpering and staying really close. We kept hearing something just out of sight moving around, but never made a visual. The dogs were up against our legs and the hair on their necks was standing on ends. They were like thatthe whole way home, scared to death.

These were three old Walker coonhounds that were battle-tested, and a whole bunch of mean. I don't know what they were afraid of, but I was scared out of my mind.

We hoofed it out of there in a matter of minutes, and it took each of us about 3 years to admit that we were terrified. I'll never hunt in that area in the dark again.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

The strangest thing in the woods is something I heard, not saw.

I lived one yearabout 30 years agoin what used to be my grandparent log house on the 80 acres of woods surrounded by Nat'l and State Forest land for miles in N.E. Minnesota.

Very cold clear nights (-20 to -30 below) you'd hear some pretty spooky sounds from the woods. Trees that would crack from the cold sound like the initial clap of lightning/thunder. Most of all to hear a pack of Timber Wolves closing on a deer at night is about an unworldly sound as I've ever heard. They start out seeming to answer each other at various times, always closing in on their prey. The last minute or so the howls to confuse and get up to the deer turn into a constant almost unnatural crescendo of howls, growls, yelps and sounds that send a chill up your spine if your outside within 1/4 or so of where it's happening.

It's not a pretty sound and I'm sure not a pretty sight either.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:06 AM

A Turkey Race?

The strangest thing I've actully seen in the woods occured a couple of years ago while deer hunting. I was still hunting down this old logging road. The trees had been thinned out here so you could see quite a ways. I came upon a bunch of turkeys, 10 or 12 or so, in a clearing about a 100 Yds from me. This little clearing was about 50-60 Yds long and about 20-25 Yds wide.

The turkeys were running down the length of the clearing right next to the trees, taking flight to bank around the end of the clearing, landing going the other direction and then runningdown the other side where they would agan take flight to reverse their direction. It's the crazest thing I've ever seen. It was like they were having their own little stock car race. I watched them do this for almost 10 Minutes. They finally all tired of the affair and melted into the woods.

Anyone else ever seen turkeys do anything like this?

firstshot
-------------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Old 07-17-2005, 08:05 PM
New Sheriff

When I was a kid we camped out around Fouke, Arkansas. For non-Arkansans that is the home of the "Fouke Monster", a supposed bigfoot type creature.
My hometown...

..and your story has been played out on many, many young man there.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:52 AM

About 7 years back when I was gun hunting in northern WI, I looked down too get a piece of jerky, then looked back up and on a fallen tree was an all black mountain lion walking with a squirrel in its mouth, it never even made a sound, neither did I, then it looked right at me and strode off. My father said their aren't supposed too be in WI but there have been sightings

Quick Reply: STRANGEST THING YOU HAVE EVER SEEN IN THE WOODS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.