Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 STRANGEST THING YOU HAVE EVER SEEN IN THE WOODS >

STRANGEST THING YOU HAVE EVER SEEN IN THE WOODS

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

STRANGEST THING YOU HAVE EVER SEEN IN THE WOODS

Old 07-10-2005, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: STRANGEST THING YOU HAVE EVER SEEN IN THE WOODS

One morning as it was just starting to break daylight in the deer woods while hunting on my farm I could here something coming in the leaves, It finally got close enough I could make out part of an image but could'nt tell what it was, I was starting to get a little nervous, I could tell that it was about 4 foot tall and walked up right and it was coming right to me, after a few minutes it was close enough to see, I could'nt believe it, it was an Emu, where it came from I don't know, but it ended up following me home, I had been back in the house about 10 minutes that morning and my wife saw it coming across one of the fields, see hollered at me and said come look at this big turkey in our field LOL it was about 250 yards away and coming straight to the house just like I walked, Later that day and one of the last times I saw it the cows had him moving on across one of the pastures, I guess it belonged to someone that released it or it had escaped, but for something like this to walk up on you before daylight is not exactly fun.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

missing a deer?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

The strangest thing was last year when a 8 point was rubbing his antlers on my tree stick ladder steps while I was in the stand and got his antler stuck in the ratchet strap wrapped around the tree and couldn't get out. After 3 hours I finally had to climb down and cut the strap with my knife so I could go home, talk about scary, he was pretty pissed by then and got even more pissed when he saw me climb down with the flashlight. I mean how do you explain that one to the boys!!!! It was a small buck that why I did not shoot him, thought about it thou.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

i had jumped a turkey during the season and it flew up in a tree about 30yd from me and watch me, coulda been hurt i guess. it was funny though, a little jake. I let him go.

I had a deer come up to me aggressivly while i was putting up my climber in the dark, had some of Paiit's Rush Creek Deer Lure out, he just came walking right up to me, had to shine a light in his face and he just kept on coming, soi jumped in the climber and climbed about 10ft and shined the light on him again, he just stood there watching.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Are you talking about the one that was shot in Elmendorf Texas just south of san antonio ? Thats about 2 miles from my house. I saw the pics of it and to me it looks like a coyote with mange, they never did identify it did they.
You have two critter's mixed up, A Chappabara is a Giant Nutria from South America (Brazil Amazon Basin).

The Mythical creature you speak of is the dreaded mexican Chupacavra that comes out at night and sucks the blood of goats and small children, that critter they killed was a Coyote with the mange..
Old 07-11-2005, 09:29 PM

I was sneaking in to my treestand with a dragrag full of tinks 69,when I heard footsteps behind me. When I paused it paused,then I heard sniffing. Fearing it was a buck and not having a very good light I picked up the pace. This time when I stopped it didn't, so I ran the 50 yards to my tree and climbed up. It kept coming ,right to the base of my tree and looked up but it wasn't the buck. Instead it was a horny opposum. The embarrassment is almost to much to bare.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:06 AM

Instead it was a horny opposum
lmao
Old 07-12-2005, 05:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

In my early days I was standing against a tree, recurve at the ready, lathered in curiosity scent. Watching a trail leading down the mountain where the deer come down in the afternoon to enter the fields below. While watching I heard a noise from behind the tree, as I turned andpoked my head from one side a doe poked it's head from the other. I imeadiately drew but it was gone in 2 jumps. Head to Head at less than 40 inches and not a shot taken.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:58 AM
Dominant Buck

I had rested my rifle against a tree about 4ft from me while I was
taking a crap, about 3-4 min. into my business, I looked up and
there was a massive 8pt looking at me. All I could do was sit there
with a crappy feeling. I have never taken a crap in the woods again.
I make sure I crap in camp before I leave.
I think the the aroma attracted him in. He must have thought.....what
in the hell could smell like that!
Old 07-12-2005, 06:19 AM

On the crap note, a guy in our hunt club killed a decent 7 one day while crapping. We hunt with dogs and they ran ir right by him, leaned up against a tree, shotgun in hand!

Quick Reply: STRANGEST THING YOU HAVE EVER SEEN IN THE WOODS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.