Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Is 6.5 all it’s cracked up to be for whitetail hunting? >

Is 6.5 all it’s cracked up to be for whitetail hunting?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is 6.5 all it’s cracked up to be for whitetail hunting?

Old 09-15-2019, 09:02 PM
Spike

Default Is 6.5 all it’s cracked up to be for whitetail hunting?

I need outside opinions on a personal battle. I’ve been using a remington model 7400 in 270 and mosin nagant for all hunting purposes but recently decided to purchase another rifle, i’ve decided to go cheap. i’m looking at a savage arms axis hb in 6.5 creedmoor and just wondering if anyone can tell me their experiences with this rifle, or this cartridge. any help would be appreciated
Old 09-15-2019, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Yes it is. But that's not to say that it does anything that a large number of other options won't do for the average whitetail hunter. Key word there being "average".

The Creed is a great choice. It's efficient, low recoiling, accurate. There are LOTS of GOOD over the counter ammo options for it. And many of them are very cheap in comparison to other similar options. The rifles built for it are generally accurate (most all modern ones are now, but that wasn't always the case) and again there after many cheap entry level options available.

The 6.5 bullets have a long history of killing game and allot of research and allot of demand from the long range crowd. This has resulted in many good factory bullets and loads and lots of easily accessible loads for the handloader.

The .270 is also a fantastic whitetail choice with a long, proven history. Will the Creed do anything that a .270 won't? Not for the AVERAGE hunter.

As for the Creed being magical on game or anything like that.... I think that you would be hard pressed to ever find yourself saying "well, I didn't get that deer because I had a .270 instead of a creedmoor"

Most of us could get by just fine shooting .30-30s and would kill deer every year. But where's the fun in that? If you're interested in getting something new and playing with it, go for it.

-Jake
Old 09-15-2019, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

As a second thought..

Coming from a R7400 and a nagant... I think you will enjoy shooting an axis in 6.5 creedmoor.

I wouldn't necessarily limit yourself to that rifle though as there are allot of good options in that "cheap" class of rifles.

Also, if you're able to save up $350 for a rifle, then you're able to save up $650 for a rifle. Just takes you a little longer to get there. Of course that logic has led me to spending money I should not be spending in the past lol....

-Jake
Old 09-16-2019, 04:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can't answer for the Creedmore but I have been using a 6.5x55 Swedish and a 6.5x54 Mannilicher Schoenauer for a lot of years and they have made every deer I have hit with them go all wobble legged and fall in a brown heap. 6.5mm has alwas been a highly respected caliber in Europe where it is used on game up to moose.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:01 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
As a second thought..

Coming from a R7400 and a nagant... I think you will enjoy shooting an axis in 6.5 creedmoor.

I wouldn't necessarily limit yourself to that rifle though as there are allot of good options in that "cheap" class of rifles.

Also, if you're able to save up $350 for a rifle, then you're able to save up $650 for a rifle. Just takes you a little longer to get there. Of course that logic has led me to spending money I should not be spending in the past lol....

-Jake
Appreciate the feed back, I think i’m gonna pull the trigger on an axis ii xp this weekend. thanks for the input!
Old 09-17-2019, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

I had a 6.5 Creedmoor, I personally HATED that thing. It wasn’t the Caliber, it was the Particular Rifle, a Weatherby Vanguard S2. I shot at, and Missed 3 Whitetail Bucks of a Lifetime that Year with that thing, Even Though it was a Gun issue, i learned to HATE everything about it, and Was excited to Get rid of it, Rifle, Loading Dies, Bullets, etc. Everything i owned for 6.5 went LONG GONE, never to Return.

Personally, i much prefer my 7mm-08, or .308 Win

Whaley Precision (AWESOME GUNSMITH, Very highly regarded here!) Just south of me in Cda Idaho has a Video of Sawing a 6.5 Barrel in Half, then turns to the Camera with both Pieces in Hand and Say’s “.30 Cal or Nothing” LOL! He obviously DESPISES the 6.5, For Hunting Big Game that is.

I know the 6.5 Creedmoor is Capable, i killed a HUGE Cow Elk at 325 Yards, I actually got SUPER LUCKY though, I clipped the Bottom of her Backbone above her Lungs, She Fell Immediately. I had to get over there and Shoot again, I HATED to have to do that. I am thankful i got her, and didn’t Wound it. If i had been just a Few inches lower i would have Hit RIGHT IN the “Void” (Below Backbone, and Above Lungs) She would have Left the Country Wounded and i would Likely never have recovered her. Again, this wasn’t the 6.5s Fault. I just had BAD Luck with it, and it RUINED me for liking them
Old 09-17-2019, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

personally I think its more hype /marketing than any thing magical or special!
unless your into shooting a LOT< the benefits really don't add up IMO<> over more basic calibers
shot placement is and will always be the key factor in killing deer, and NOT really caliber or how efficient a caliber is on powder or BC on a bullet is!.

I have heard so many claim"X" caliber/bullet" will drop em in there tracks
and IMO, its again BS
I have seen deer get shot with things as extreme as .50 BMG 750 grain soft point hunting bullets, 12000 or so FT LBs of energy
get hit and RUN, and shot in vitals too boot
a hole the size a football could be thrown thru and not hit meat or bone
and deer was clam at shot, and STILL RAN, HOW< NOT a clue, but it ran over a 100 yards
SO< IMO< and having seen hundreds of deer shot(and shot several hundred myself)
some times they RUN<> don't care what caliber or placement, might be dead on there feet, but some still RUN
but all said and done, bullet placement is key, and any bullet /caliber up to task , placed in vitals, is what is needed
PICK a caliber with sufficient power and learn how to shoot it and put bullets where needed
and you will have dead deer!
you don't need the latest and greatest marketing item all the TV shows and mags are pushing!
Old 09-17-2019, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mrbb
personally I think its more hype /marketing than any thing magical or special!
unless your into shooting a LOT< the benefits really don't add up IMO<> over more basic calibers
shot placement is and will always be the key factor in killing deer, and NOT really caliber or how efficient a caliber is on powder or BC on a bullet is!.

I have heard so many claim"X" caliber/bullet" will drop em in there tracks
and IMO, its again BS
I have seen deer get shot with things as extreme as .50 BMG 750 grain soft point hunting bullets, 12000 or so FT LBs of energy
get hit and RUN, and shot in vitals too boot
a hole the size a football could be thrown thru and not hit meat or bone
and deer was clam at shot, and STILL RAN, HOW< NOT a clue, but it ran over a 100 yards
SO< IMO< and having seen hundreds of deer shot(and shot several hundred myself)
some times they RUN<> don't care what caliber or placement, might be dead on there feet, but some still RUN
but all said and done, bullet placement is key, and any bullet /caliber up to task , placed in vitals, is what is needed
PICK a caliber with sufficient power and learn how to shoot it and put bullets where needed
you don't need the latest and greatest marketing item all the TV shows and mags are pushing!
Excellent Post!
Old 09-17-2019, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

I've not seen any advertising claiming that the Creed will drop deer in it's tracks every time.

-jake
Old 09-17-2019, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mrbb

it seems to me that the 6.5 Creed fits that perfectly. With the added bonus of lots of cheap, quality, over the counter rifle and ammo options.

You must be A fan lol.

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.