Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How do I get my Deer Skull to stop stinkin? >

How do I get my Deer Skull to stop stinkin?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do I get my Deer Skull to stop stinkin?

Old 07-08-2005, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do I get my Deer Skull to stop stinkin?

Either boil it, bury it for another year, try hard to use a pressure washer to spray of the inside of the skull, or (probably the best way) get some demestid beatles and let them do the work.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Im with everyone else on this topic. Ants and bleach. Works real good.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cutter81

Im with everyone else on this topic. Ants and bleach. Works real good.
Ants are an inexpensive way of cleaning, but I did a bobcat skull several years ago and, because of the color of the soil in my area, I never got it to bleach out. Hydrogen peroxide is a much better way of bleaching and is really cheap at WalMart or a dollar store.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:38 PM

Cover the antlers with saran wrap, put it in a big pot and boil it with soap. I used borax.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree with WV!

[/align]
Old 07-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree if all the meat/tissue is off the skull it more than likely is brain matter that is making the stink! For removal of the brain matter I use a arrow shaft via the brain stem, just after the intial boil. If possible rinse it out with a garden hose or if your like me and often do this in the dead of winter where a outside water source is not a possibility, then use the pull nosel from your sink or in the tub! (It is advised to wait till the lady of the house is good and gone before attemting do such a procedure[8D]!).
The other possibility for smell is the top roof of the mouth, I use a small caping knife and remove this when fleshing and fresh. If you don't plan to do the caping/fleshing fresh (soon after the harvest), then wrap it tight in garbage bags and throw it in the freezer till you can get to it. I have done this several times and works great, much better than having to deal with staining or dried meat!

As to bleaching I pretty much do as other have said. Flesh it as best I can, wrap antlers tightly in alum. foil, thenboil in dish soap or even pickling salt (outside) & pull it out every 30-45 minute of gentle boiling pot to remove loose matter. Once I have obtained aclean skull it gets boiled for up to hour in the same solution, then let it air dry. Finally to the bleaching I have used several ways that work well, best is peroxide soaked gauze and leave it for 24 hours, then rinse off and air dry. Also tried peroxide & dry bleech to form a paste this year and the results were very good. Again I left it on the skull for 24hrs, then rinsed offvia garden hoseand air dried before completing the project. The absolute worst thing is using household bleach it will cause a yellowing tinge, especially over time.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:56 PM

Bleach... Submerge the skull area in it. A day of this should fix it up.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Oh it's so not worth it. I had a deer skull in my backyard for about 3 months. Neibors complained about the small, it was a nightmare.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:02 PM

like the other guys i boil mine in a pot.

dan
Old 10-15-2018, 09:09 AM
Spike

Default I have the same problem

I actually did boil mine, (but without the dish soap , I'll have to try that next time) but it's been sitting for a year now. I've cleaned off as much as I could, but there are little bits still there that stin like crazy. I've thought about boiling it again, but at the state of the skull, I'm afraid the bones will boil apart.

I plan on trying the ant pile, just ganna have to keep a close eye on it because of the dogs and coons around here.

Quick Reply: How do I get my Deer Skull to stop stinkin?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.