Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Why do hunters... "Like to Kill"? >

Why do hunters... "Like to Kill"?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why do hunters... "Like to Kill"?

Old 07-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Why do hunters... "Like to Kill"?

God's creatures, JimmyS?

Genesis 9:3
Everything that lives and move's will be food for you.
Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Because I can't run fast enough to eat them alive.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:27 AM
Dominant Buck

I could just as easily enjoy the hunt if all it involved was taking a picture of my quarry . The difference for me is the finality of the act , once I pull that trigger or release that string another creature's life ends . That's a huge responsibility , and when I eat that venison or bunny ,or whatever ,I feel thankful to that creature for nourishing me . I don't feel that way about plants and I seriously doubt that I ever will . It's about that simple for me .
Old 07-02-2005, 07:29 AM

good reply matt.I dont like the word kill if someone ask me I say I harvest what ever animal or I got a deer or what ever.To me its a sport plain and simple
Old 07-03-2005, 07:11 AM

I like to hunt I don't like to kill,although I don't hesitate to kill,when I have the opportunity at an animal I wish to take.The killing is just the culmination of the hunt,the taking of an animal in to your posession for proper care and consumption.I am always reflective after the taking of an animals life,and I always give thanks.To me it is very important to give reverance to the animal!
Old 07-03-2005, 01:46 PM

I hunt for a myriad of reasons. But, to specifically answer your question, I find a great sense of pride and meaning when a hunt is successful. I have accomplished 2 things. One, I have provided for my family. That would be the main reason. Two, being able to go into the woods, and get an animal that close, beat them on their own terms, and to watch that arrow sink in right behind the shoulder......man, it just don't get any better than that. It gives me a great sense of accomplishment and purpose.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:51 PM

To which I respond, "How can you not"? If the non hunter is honest with himself he'll recognize the hypocracy of his question, if not there is no way for you to persuade him, for in his mind he is "better" than you.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many good posts above.

My wife thinks I'm wierd. Although she couldnt kill an animal, she does just fine eating all my quarry I hunt. She thinks it's odd that I kill a deer but then turnaround and help a critter out, like getting a deer out of a fence, or helping a baby bird back into it's nest, or taking some baby raccoons to an animal orphanage, feeding a stray before the pound picks it up, stuff like that.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: tocs

I like to hunt I don't like to kill,although I don't hesitate to kill,when I have the opportunity at an animal I wish to take.The killing is just the culmination of the hunt,the taking of an animal in to your posession for proper care and consumption.I am always reflective after the taking of an animals life,and I always give thanks.To me it is very important to give reverance to the animal!

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Many good posts above.

My wife thinks I'm wierd. Although she couldnt kill an animal, she does just fine eating all my quarry I hunt. She thinks it's odd that I kill a deer but then turnaround and help a critter out, like getting a deer out of a fence, or helping a baby bird back into it's nest, or taking some baby raccoons to an animal orphanage, feeding a stray before the pound picks it up, stuff like that.
Both good replies and I do the same thing. Right before the shot, I am very excited that all my hard work has brought me to that moment. After the shot, I pray that I placed it well and the creature expires quickly. I almost always have pangs of guilt for taking it's life and always give thanks for it's gift of meat. Then the excitement returns when I think of the hunt as a whole. It's a totally ironic experience.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:45 PM

I don't know how we hunters let things get so out of hand as to be portrayed as a villain for trying to live a natural life.
I think people that ask such a question..number one are out of touch with reality..and number two..should be made to visit poultry houses, feed lots and slaughter houses so they could see just what kind of life they require the domesticated animals go through before becoming their conscious free Big Macs and Buffalo Wings.

Quick Reply: Why do hunters... "Like to Kill"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.