HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Slugs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/10401-slugs.html)

Redman60 09-22-2002 05:14 AM

Slugs

<font face='Arial'></font id='Arial'>I have a Rem 1100 with rifled barrel. I went to the range and tested some slugs. I found that at 100 yds. Lightfields 1.25 oz. lead sabots grouped the best. I tried the new Rem Coppersolids and 2 of the Winchesters - Platinum tip and Coppers. Ballistically the Winhester Coppers should out perform the others, but I can't get off the Lightfields.....

Any thoughts?

1950KID 09-22-2002 08:08 AM

RE: Slugs

I like the Lightfields too. They shoot better in my shotgun.

Mick41 09-22-2002 02:15 PM

I'm there with you also. I have the Remington 11-87 with the cantilevered scope mount slug barrel. I did the same test you did and there was no comparison. The Lightfield's were the tightest most consistent group by far.

Crowpecker 09-23-2002 02:28 PM

No need to get off the Lightfields. All of the above are correct. I also have an 11-87 with cantilevered scope and I can consistently group 3 shots in a half-dollar size circle at 100 yds. They are devasting rounds on whitetails too.

On a side note, I can testify fully to how far they travel and how much shocking power they have. I had a most unfortunate incident last year on opening day of the gun deer season in Steuben County, NY. I was just getting out of my tree stand to go get my deer and as soon as I touched the ground and stepped to the left of the tree, I got shot in the back with a 12 gauge Lightfield slug. It went through my heavy coat and orange vest and knocked me on my face. It hit a 1/4&quot; to the right of my spine and just missed my right lung. The slug is still in me and they can't take it out. I weigh 270 lbs and if I was a light person, I wouldn't be here right now. Upon investigation by the state police and DEC, it was determined that the shot came from my brother in law's stand which was almost 200 yds away!! He was shooting at deer the same time and one shot that missed his deer made it's way through all those trees, up over a small hill and down to me!!! Freak accident is all it was as we never could see each other even when we were both in our tree stands. I've hunted over 30 yrs without ever having an accident and then this had to happen. I want to add that we always hunted safe and wear blaze orange and did all the right things, but still an accident happened. I don't know if I'll ever hunt again, but I just wanted to tell you guys that those sabot slugs travel FAR !! The DEC and state police measured 180 yds, so be careful with those slugs. They're not like the old pumpkin balls that drop to the ground at almost 100 yds.

Good hunting and be safe you guys!!

huntinhogswithabow 09-23-2002 05:16 PM

HOLY SMOKES!! Glad to see you are still around.
Bryan

Crowpecker 09-24-2002 09:51 AM

Thanks Bryan. I'm just grateful to be here.

Phade 09-24-2002 11:25 AM

Have you tried Activ? I have both 1100 and the 1187, and they work excellent with each model.

Redman60 09-24-2002 12:50 PM

WOW Crowpecker. I've been wondering how far they flew. Sorry to hear bout your nerve racking adventure. Gladly your hide is thicker than a whitetails :) - so you're still around to help us out.

I guess a 120 to 150 yd shot is defintely within range....

horntagger 09-24-2002 01:38 PM

870 Magnum with rifled barrel cantilver mount and 1.5x4.5 20mm scope shooting 2 3/4 Lightfields. All groups in 1&quot; circle and closer.

25 yards same hole.
50, 75 and 100 yards shooting about 1/2&quot; to 1&quot; high in a 1&quot; circle 125 yards still back on target.

150 yards about a 4&quot; drop and enough impact to turn half a 25 pound salt block in to loose salt and spilting it in 1/4&quot;

I hunt in a group with a 7mm Magnum, 270, 30-06 and 30-30 and I will tell you nothing is more lethal than this gun hunting deer.

I do have a question for the slugger out their. What other game would you hunt or could hunt with it. Does anyone hunt elk, mule deer, bear etc with slug guns, don't see it ever on TV or video. Just whitetails.

www.mosportsmen.com
&
http://walden.mvp.net

Crowpecker 09-24-2002 02:41 PM

HornTagger, prior to my hunting accident, I did similar tests with several slugs and found that the LightFields performed best with similar results and Active came in a close second. Since both of those slugs are solid lead, I'm grateful the one I got shot with wasn't one of those copper jacketed ones like the ones Remington has. I couldn't test the copper slugs in my Hastings barrel because the mfg said not to use them, but I can only imagine what an expanding slug like that would have done to me. Probably because these newer slugs are so new, no one has really written or tested them on other game yet but if I was still going to hunt, I wouldn't hesitate to use them on bear out to 150 yds. They do pack a wallop!